We should have signed Naismith instead of Lafferty...

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Not a Scotland fan but watched game tonight as I was not going out due to having a bad cold.Thought Naismith was MoM and as I have said before we should have brought him back last season IMO.

He was a class above tonight in an extremely poor game of football. 

56 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

To be fair, Albania have Lazio and Napoli players in their side.

And Rangers now, of course.

To be fair, Albania are so bad that the worst Scotland side I have ever seen, with the worst manager we have probably ever had, managed to beat them. It's going to be a long year or two for the tartan army. 

1 hour ago, 917 said:

Johnny Russell is a better player. 

Not based on tonight he wasn't. And if he's so good, why is he playing for Kansas City in his 20's? 

Naismith is not as good as Morelos.

Naismith was miles better than Morelos in his last 2 seasons. He stood out in a Rangers team winning trophies, one infinitely better than what we have now. Morelos blows hot and cold in what has been over his time so far, a pretty damn poor team. Regardless, whether he's better than one particular player is irrelevant. The question is if he has value to add to our team, and I would say he certainly does. I would far rather have him involved than some loan player like Ryan Kent or Umar Sadiq, whom will leave us at the end of the season and probably never be seen on a TV screen again. And as per the OP, a Steven Naismith anything like his former self will always be 10 times the Kyle Laffertys of the world. 

Maybe a better finisher, but you can’t judge players on internationals. We signed the likes of David Healy and Salenko based on scoring goals against minnows. Albania are probably punching above their weight being in division C in the nations league. Back in the good old days when there were only 32 countries in UEFA, Albania were always the worst team in Europe!

Not sure why internationals is relevant. Naismith has proven his quality with us already and also in the EPL. The only question is whether he still has a fraction of his old ability. It seems he's still a very decent player. 

Based on what I have seen this season, Steven Naismith would walk into our team. We severely lack quality in the final third. We badly lack the movement, technique and intelligence he has. 

And would our support accept him? We put up with Ian Black betting against us, we put up with Kenny Miller and we've put up with all sorts of heinous things over the years. If Naismith came back and scored a goal against the tims, 50000 people at Ibrox would be chanting his name. 

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I loved Naismith when he played for us. He's a clever player, he sees angles and runs many other players don't, he's hard working and he's got a nasty streak too, he doesn't get taken advantage of on the park. At the same time he comes across as a decent human being off it too. His press conference when he left was a monumental mistake. I've more sympathy for him than most, we forget that none of us knew what Green was planning, none of knew what team we might or might not have, it was a difficult and emotional time. All that being said he'd have been better saying nothing. It hurt and angered more coming from a bluenose, from a player a lot of us could relate to. 

However, if we can accept Kevin Kyle, Ian Black and Michael O'Halleron, if we can take back Kenny Miller, twice, if we can take back McGregor and Lafferty we can surely take back Naismith. However, I'd like to see another 6 months at Hearts, injury free and in good form before then. My only reservation on Naismith is around his ability now, can he still play to the same level.