Catholic Schools Brainwashing Children?

Great article,sums up what I have always said about religion.

I am loosely called "protestant" as that was my denomination of school but have no time for religion of any sort due to the "brainwashing" ideals it leads to and never listened during the religious education lessons forced upon us.

Having many catholic relatives and friends I have had to attend weddings,funerals at chapels where the brainwashing effect can be heard.Also concerning is the act of communion where the child is "married"into the religion.

Have never attended any religious ceremonies in other faiths but surmise they have same effect as mentioned above.

Wars and divisions will always exist because of religion.

23 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Faith schools separate kids on the basis of their parents religious beliefs.

All we ever hear about these days is diversity, integration and inclusiveness and yet faith schools remain.  Why is that?

It's an object lesson on why religions have persisted beyond the point of intellectual transparency. There isn't a political party that aspires to power that will risk offending the faithful of huge organisations like the Catholic Church. The power of political threat transcends all reason and there is clearly a hierarchy of allegiance at play. As you rightly point out, such topical imperatives as diversity and inclusion are readily cast aside when the alternative is to jeopardise assets that are even more important to the loyal adherents. And nothing is more key to the survival and prosperity of a religion than the ability to brainwash its children.

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Media coverage of there leader as well as the brainwashing effect.

I cringe every time I hear mainstream media quoting the Pope's pronouncements on major issues ... as if the comments of that be-skirted buffoon actually had significance. The Great Conspiracy and the herding of you and me into our appointed places. This is an increasingly hard world to live in if you're guilty of any form of independent and cogent thought.

If the media gave the Pope and his church the same scrutiny and exposure they give to the likes of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn there would be fewer Catholics pretending their church was an acceptable part of normal society. It's amazing now much credibility you can maintain while sweeping your sins under an endless carpet. What Christianity and Islam get away with would make a stone blush in anger and embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

If the media gave the Pope and his church the same scrutiny and exposure they give to the likes of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn there would be fewer Catholics pretending their church was an acceptable part of normal society. It's amazing now much credibility you can maintain while sweeping your sins under an endless carpet. What Christianity and Islam get away with would make a stone blush in anger and embarrassment.

There are so many cases where religion gets a free ride where any other institution/organization is considered fair game.

Imagine a tweet with the following structure:

I hate (person). In fact all (members of a group) are total c*nts. I wish (the group's main building) would burn down.

FIll it in with (The Queen / The Royals / Buckingham Palace), (Theresa May / Tories / Westminster), even (Sturgeon / Nats / Holyrood). I daresay you'd get a few complaints, but for the most part you'd probably be retweeted and commended for being strongly opinionated.

Try completing the tweet with (The Pope / Catholics / The Vatican) though, and it's a hate crime. Why should it be any different? Religion is just a personal opinion, no more or less so than political affiliation.

Come to think of it, maybe it's not all religious organisations though - if you tweet violent hatred towards the Orange Order that's considered just fine...