2008 We knew it, now proof

15 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Is anyone surprised at this ? All Liewell was doing was trying to get his team an advantage to win the league.

I’d expect our CEO or MD to do the same if it were the yahoos in the UEFA cup final. 

I'd like to think we would have more class than that. Sporting integrity and all that...

I'm not sure if any one bar celtic would've acted like before then. Or had reason to. That said, they've certainly used Milne and Thompson (Petrie, Mulraney, that guy at Raith Rovers) at times since.

Reid and their board have totally changed the game since their arrival. 

Part of the reason celtic have had so much traction with their off-field stuff is mostly that no-one expects it. This is why Reid went there and ripped up merry hell. I still think Scottish football is in denial about half of it. Sectarian industry/compliance officer/state aid/the weight they pull across the media - it stems from and is driven from the same place. Most write it off as "oh, they wouldn't do that", the sad truth is they would and they do. 

One other thing that annoys me about this is that Peat is saying he never bowed to their demands. Maybe my memory is failing me but did we still not end up playing 5 games in 11 days or something? From memeory we got the square root of hee-haw help from the SFA.

SCOTTISH FA CUP Su 20Apr 2008 N St Johnstone 1 - 1 Rangers

D*

UEFA CUP Th 24Apr 2008   Rangers 0 - 0 Fiorentina

D

SCOTTISH PREMIER Su 27Apr 2008   Celtic 3 - 2 Rangers

L

UEFA CUP Th 01May 2008   Fiorentina 0 - 0 Rangers

D*

SCOTTISH PREMIER Su 04May 2008   Hibernian 0 - 0 Rangers

D

SCOTTISH PREMIER We 07May 2008   Rangers 1 - 0 Motherwell
W

SCOTTISH PREMIER Sa 10May 2008   Rangers 3 - 1 Dundee Utd
W

UEFA CUP We 14May 2008 N Zenit 2 - 0 Rangers

L

SCOTTISH PREMIER Sa 17May 2008   Motherwell 1 - 1 Rangers

D

SCOTTISH PREMIER Mo 19May 2008   St Mirren 0 - 3 Rangers
W

SCOTTISH PREMIER Th 22May 2008   Aberdeen 2 - 0 Rangers

L

SCOTTISH FA CUP Sa 24May 2008 N Queen of Sth 2 - 3 Rangers

For me, an obvious point for the SFA/SPL to pick up and change going forward, would be that a minimum time (say 2 clear days) should be added to any schedule. And that this would drive any fixtures. Not an arbitrary date or a tour of japan etc.

3 minutes ago, StuGers said:

One other thing that annoys me about this is that Peat is saying he never bowed to their demands. Maybe my memory is failing me but did we still not end up playing 5 games in 11 days or something? From memeory we got the square root of hee-haw help from the SFA.

38 minutes ago, StuGers said:

I’m not surprised, however, the timing of this is strange. Why now George?

Not sure if its got any relevance, but i couldn't see Charles Green making any worthwhile mileage of the suggestion. Only recently club stable enough to act?

Possibly hindsight on other issues from Peat? 

5 hours ago, Rick Roberts said:

I'm not sure if any one bar celtic would've acted like before then. Or had reason to. That said, they've certainly used Milne and Thompson (Petrie, Mulraney, that guy at Raith Rovers) at times since.

Reid and their board have totally changed the game since their arrival. 

Part of the reason celtic have had so much traction with their off-field stuff is mostly that no-one expects it. This is why Reid went there and ripped up merry hell. I still think Scottish football is in denial about half of it. Sectarian industry/compliance officer/state aid/the weight they pull across the media - it stems from and is driven from the same place. Most write it off as "oh, they wouldn't do that", the sad truth is they would and they do. 

Reid was Chairman when Lennon was appointed as manager and had, a few months before (Feb 2010), sent a video to the SFA that had all of their perceived injustices that came from the officials.

He was part of a board that ok'd a 'war-footing' status with the SFA.

Lawwell and Lennon went on a summer tour of CSC's with confrontational rhetoric against SFA.

October of the same year saw Dougie McDonald bear the brunt of a premeditatd offensive, offensive.

The main reason for this was to push a siege mentality within the Celtic support and prevent the precipitous drop in home attendance numbers that the Tony Mowbray era had seen (around 20%) get worse. Another was to start tailoring the SFA and shape it's rulebook more to their liking (enter the late Paul McBride).

Reid had been Defence Secretary but his nature was more, very basic offence.

Edited by buster.

What will be interesting to find out will be why a call made any difference, or what did. 

Celtic played 6 games in May 2003 compared to our 9 games in 2008. So there would have been no inconsistency in extending the season. It’s a crime that these men were made to play 9 games in 24 days (including 2 away European ties). An average of 2 and a half days rest for a whole month. 

Not to mention that only 3 of our last 16 games were at Ibrox. The no mercy stance was unforgivable. 

It was the same year that Yahoo FC took advantage of a former player's death to postpone a game where they were seriously lacking in personal (and later on had nonsuch when another premium Yahoo player died ... nor did methinks Motherwell postpone their game (or were allowed to) ... when it was their player).

That was the season when the SFA and SPL lost any sort of respect, the season where Archie MacPherson was in the BBC Scotland canteen during the EL final and was flabbergasted when the whole place went bananas as Zenit scored.

Oh what would you give for some investigative journalism into these events, what went on at the SFA, SPL and BBC in the years thereafter and during admin. Maybe SG status will get someone to act ...

Edited by der Berliner