3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Much as I hate to say it I think Ronaldo is the greatest forward player of all time. Historically I can think of nothing to match him. He has everything. Height, strength, pace,  superb ball skills and an ability to put the ball in the net in almost any circumstance.

He's the difference between the Real of last year and the Real of this year and the difference between Juventus of last year and this year.

Roger Hynd 

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Much as I hate to say it I think Ronaldo is the greatest forward player of all time. Historically I can think of nothing to match him. He has everything. Height, strength, pace,  superb ball skills and an ability to put the ball in the net in almost any circumstance.

He's the difference between the Real of last year and the Real of this year and the difference between Juventus of last year and this year.

Messi is a better player than Ronaldo.

59 minutes ago, craig said:

Messi is a better player than Ronaldo.

I feel that while there may be an argument for Messi being to some degree technically superior I just don't think he brings quite as much to the table in all round sense. For example Ronaldo amongst all his other attributes is a superb header of the ball and has the physical presence (height) to accomplish that.

I also have my doubts that anyone would pay a hundred million for a 34 year old Messi though we have a few years to wait before that could be tested given that Messi is 3 years younger.

And regarding the physical presence there's an old saying opining that a good big un is always preferable to a good little un.

spacer.png

Perhaps the opinion of Sepp Blatter should also be included.

In a debate at Oxford Union in October 2013, when asked whether FIFA president Sepp Blatter preferred Messi or Ronaldo, Blatter paid tribute to the work ethic of the Argentine before taking a swipe at Ronaldo, claiming "one of them has more expenses for the hairdresser than the other". Real Madrid demanded – and promptly received – a full apology.

That's four English teams into the next round watched liverpool last night and they played like a team strong in all departments Van Dijk must be worth double what they paid for him and again Messi stepped up and took his side forward cant wait until the next round of games. 

39 minutes ago, compo said:

That's four English teams into the next round watched liverpool last night and they played like a team strong in all departments Van Dijk must be worth double what they paid for him and again Messi stepped up and took his side forward cant wait until the next round of games. 

EPL TV deal starting to have an effect on CL.

I found the commentator constantly harping on about what a great achievement it is for England to have four teams in the quarter finals rather tiresome. 

As buster says, it's simply due to that league being awash with foreign investors and the huge amount of TV money.  And most of the players in the four sides aren't English either (all four managers are from overseas).  

Edited by Gonzo79