The thing is Man Utd fans and directors dont want to rip up the book and start again and wait 5 years but Ajax have just shown thats what you have to do. The German national team have always been a top side and even they did it 10 years ago as well as the Spanish side.

Man Utd are wanting a quick fix but having Pre-Madonnas like Pogba to build a team around wont work. And then Sanchez - absolute world class player but played way to much football for 5 years non stop due to international summer commitments and didnt look after himself so he could continue into his 30s and now they are left with his 500k a week.

Imagine telling a Liverpool fan in 1990 you wont win the title again before 2019, its like telling Man Utd fans now they wont win it again until 2048 which is science fiction story time. Time in football is amazing to think Man Utd didnt win it for 26 years in 1993 yet talk about success with the Busby Babes etc. 5 years should be nothing for Man Utd and nobody is saying they cant be successful while starting again. The issue was giving OGS the job before the end of the season on the back of 8 or 9 good spirited games. They needed a Zidane or someone like that.

2 minutes ago, Gribz said:

The thing is Man Utd fans and directors dont want to rip up the book and start again and wait 5 years but Ajax have just shown thats what you have to do. The German national team have always been a top side and even they did it 10 years ago as well as the Spanish side.

Man Utd are wanting a quick fix but having Pre-Madonnas like Pogba to build a team around wont work. And then Sanchez - absolute world class player but played way to much football for 5 years non stop due to international summer commitments and didnt look after himself so he could continue into his 30s and now they are left with his 500k a week.

Imagine telling a Liverpool fan in 1990 you wont win the title again before 2019, its like telling Man Utd fans now they wont win it again until 2048 which is science fiction story time. Time in football is amazing to think Man Utd didnt win it for 26 years in 1993 yet talk about success with the Busby Babes etc. 5 years should be nothing for Man Utd and nobody is saying they cant be successful while starting again. The issue was giving OGS the job before the end of the season on the back of 8 or 9 good spirited games. They needed a Zidane or someone like that.

Agree with most of that but not that Zidane would sort it.

Perhaps there is a bit of natural order in it,... so many years of plenty were always likely to be followed by a fair bit of famine.

I just threw Zidane in if they wanted success, I think he knows how to command big players. Talk about best players in the world and he was right up there.

Can you imagine say Eddie Howe coming into Man U right now, it would be exactly the same as Moyes. The situation seems to be player power one.

1 hour ago, Gribz said:

I just threw Zidane in if they wanted success, I think he knows how to command big players. Talk about best players in the world and he was right up there.

Can you imagine say Eddie Howe coming into Man U right now, it would be exactly the same as Moyes. The situation seems to be player power one.

Zidane was a variation on the Del Bosque type of appointment at Real Madrid, possibly the most complicated political egosphere in the galaxy.

Del Bosque gave the likes of Hierro and Raul space to have their substantial say and generally didn't rock the boat. The logic being that if you have the better players and you keep them sweet, you'll do well. He did so much better than many who tried to lay down their own law, even if they may have been better tacticans or whatever.

Zidane commands respect for what he has done in the game but I think he was smart enough to also follow some of Del Bosque's previous habits.

Man. Utd could conceivably stay in City's shadow for a fair old time.

Some of the issues facing United are not disimilar to the general situation in front of us.

Difficult job for whoever takes it on.

8 hours ago, craig said:

Yeah that’s already started as Barca have tied up de Jong and rumours are de Ligt is next.

Great run no matter what happens now. They began their campaign in the qualifiers as 250/1 outsiders.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Great run no matter what happens now. They began their campaign in the qualifiers as 250/1 outsiders.

Very refreshing to see it.

We're seeing Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and now Juventus all losing their edge.

It only needs Messi to retire and Barcelona will be the same.

Hopefully have some different winners for a couple of years.

On 11/04/2019 at 11:24, buster. said:

Spurs are 16/1 to lift the CL

Generous ??

I reckon so.......

Anyone else have a nibble back then ?

They are now 9/2

Barcelona 6/4

Liverpool 5/2

Ajax & Spurs 9/2

Great to see Abu Dhabi Town, the vanity project and PR masterpiece, financially doped beyond its eyeballs, come up short against the pride of North London. 

Enjoyable match to watch, I must say, with a couple of cracking goals. Overall, Abu Dhabi was the better side, although whether it 'deserved to win' is moot. The resolution of injury-hit Spurs surely must count. 

No doubt debate over Llorente's goal will continue. I am unsure about it myself. I have to ask, however, that had he been defending, would the referee, VAR-aided or not, have awarded a penalty?