8 hours ago, craig said:

Champions League ?  Load of shite.

last time Liverpool won their own domestic league was 29 years ago.

last time Spurs won it... 58 years ago.

yet they contest the “Champions” League final.... load of shite.

Ahax make the semi final before being eliminated... and now have to go through qualifiers again next season... whilst the FOURTH placed team in Bundesliga are given automatic entry into the group stages.

a load of shite, that’s what it is.

It's just badly named.

There are obviously some major flaws about how it's structured but the football games it's produced have been fantastic, so I'd quibble with your "load of shite".

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

It's just badly named.

There are obviously some major flaws about how it's structured but the football games it's produced have been fantastic, so I'd quibble with your "load of shite".

There aren't many competitions in sport where you qualify by coming fourth but Losers League doesn't quite project the same brand message. Even if that's more or less what it is. 

It's now a competition for clubs to ake make more money  and the further you progress the more you earn,  there's nothing wrong with making oodles of money I only wish we were good enough to compete at this level  .

I think that in Rugby League, you may win the Grand Final, from a finishing position of 5th in the League. 

In Rugby Union, and in yankee Football, there are playoffs, which allow teams who did not finish top to contest the Final. 

The set up in Super Rugby (NZ, Aus, SA, Argentina, and Japan) seems to this outsider even more complicated.

"Champions' League", however, is a misnomer, presumably because the authorities did not, and do not, want to call it the "European League".  I think that they should call it "The European Cup" (and not, note, "The European Champions' Cup").

It is a bit of a stretch, however, from criticism of nomenclature to denunciation of the entire competition as a bag of shite. 

Edited by Uilleam

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Top 4 from South America qualify for the world cup, plus 5th place goes into a play-off.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

spacer.png