[FT] Villarreal 2 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 67; Lafferty 76)

• Rousseau changed the title to Villarreal v Rangers - How good does that sound!

Sinking the 'Yellow Submarine' would be an excellent start to the group stages.  I'd be happy with a draw though.

We proved, particularly against Maribor, that we can play well.  There has been a dip since those two matches though, so I'm not holding out too much hope.

Two things about the press conference.

1. When SG talked about Lafferty/Morelos and their role within the squad, it was noticeable that Sadiq wasn't even mentioned.

2. SG wasn't laughing when he cracked the line about 'every time he mentions important to keep discipline, we get red cards'.

------------------

I doubt it will be but I'd like to see a cautious 3-5-2

- defend with a line of 5

- only one of Tav or Barisic allowed forward at any one time.

- if struggling to play through the middle, we have the long ball option to Lafferty, who will have support close by.

McGregor

Worrell.......Goldson......Katic

Tav...............................................Barisic

Coulibaly....Halliday

......Arfield

............................Kent

.........Lafferty

I'd like to see an reasonably aggressive start and look for a goal, rather than just park the bus.

Spanish sporting newspaper includes the Villareal managers line when asked about Rangers...."Se parece mucho al Leganés.....".......ie. they are very similar to Leganés.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/villarreal/2018/09/19/5ba22aa0e5fdeaa9488b46b4.html

Leganés are at the bottom of La Liga, so effectively he's calling us ....'the Leganés of Scotland'.

ps. Villareal's next fixture is against the once named....... Aberdeen of Spain

Edited by buster.

8 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Feel the same way as I did prior going to Septic Park. I'm not expecting a result but looking more to see a good performance from the team. I hope we can braver on the ball, have a go and at least give them something to think about. Sitting back for 90 mins will get us nowhere fast IMO

Tonight will give an indication if that game has changed the way SG approaches this kind of challenge.

There should be more physical and mental energy to take on whatever way we go about things.....but again our midfield options are curtailed, noteably the absence of Jack and Ejaria (on top of the longer term injuries).

Edited by buster.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

Tonight will give an indication if that game has changed the way SG approaches this kind of challenge.

There should be more physical and mental energy to take on whatever way we go about things.....but again our midfield options are curtailed, noteably the absence of Jack and Ejaria (on top of the longer term injuries).

Is Ejaria injured?