Rangers and Scotland

2 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Anyone who would Boo McGregor would be bonkers and they know that. Like Goram I think even our most fierce rivals know how good he is and what top form he is in. 

Regards booing our players, I think Ryan Jack gets it because of the amount of sheep in the Tartan Army.

If in the future say Ross McCrorie or Glen Middleton get a game, I don't think they'll be booed.

Our squad hasn't the depth required in all areas for us to willingly send players to national squads. Last time Jack was called up he returned with an injury that bit us hard in games against e.g. Livingston. We should keep our folk for the league and Europe, as well as the cups. That's a tall order anyway.

Scotland, by the looks of it, needs a settle spine or core of players and the material out there simply isn't that great. McLeish has a job on his hands here.

I fully understand the reality of the "tartan army". They mostly conform to a strict nationalist agenda and, like all ScotNats, will continue to take an adversarial attitude to Rangers players. It doesn't matter whether our players are good enough, whatever that means nowadays. If any Rangers player isn't "good enough" for Scotland then he certainly shouldn't be playing for Rangers. I'm more than happy to reciprocate in full and wouldn't be particularly disappointed if I never saw another Rangers player in a Scotland shirt.

Scottish football is run by bigots and incompetents, mostly for the benefit of one club. The evidence is all around us. The idea our players should help sustain their blazers by playing for them doesn't appeal to me. I'm proud to be Scottish and feel immense pride when Scots do well in sport of any other aspect of life but you couldn't pay me to go to a Scotland game. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I fully understand the reality of the "tartan army". They mostly conform to a strict nationalist agenda and, like all ScotNats, will continue to take an adversarial attitude to Rangers players. It doesn't matter whether our players are good enough, whatever that means nowadays. If any Rangers player isn't "good enough" for Scotland then he certainly shouldn't be playing for Rangers. I'm more than happy to reciprocate in full and wouldn't be particularly disappointed if I never saw another Rangers player in a Scotland shirt.

Scottish football is run by bigots and incompetents, mostly for the benefit of one club. The evidence is all around us. The idea our players should help sustain their blazers by playing for them doesn't appeal to me. I'm proud to be Scottish and feel immense pride when Scots do well in sport of any other aspect of life but you couldn't pay me to go to a Scotland game. 

I'm struggling to see any evidence that there is some sort of conspiracy when it comes to the selection of our players. I think history has shown that the players we have that are good enough get picked. It's not like in recent years we have had a load of top performing Scots getting consistently overlooked. 

The guy picking the team is a Rangers supporting ex manager for goodness sake!

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

24 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I'm struggling to see any evidence that there is some sort of conspiracy when it comes to the selection of our players. I think history has shown that the players we have that are good enough get picked. It's not like in recent years we have had a load of top performing Scots getting consistently overlooked. 

The guy picking the team is a Rangers supporting ex manager for goodness sake!

“The guy picking the team” couldn’t pick his nose, for goodness sake, and holding him up as some kind of proof that an anti-Rangers conspiracy doesn’t exist in Scottish football is taking gullibility to new levels of naivety. “We’re in the clear guys, Alex McLeish is back in charge.” ?

Glad to see we have a little debate going.

I am fully aware that Dorrans and Jack are not 100% fit however that did not stop Albania calling up Grezda.

My main bone of contention is that IMO Middleton, McCrorie and Bates would have been better than GMS, Shinnie and Devlin.

Recent head to heads and European performances would support this line of thinking.

33 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Glad to see we have a little debate going.

I am fully aware that Dorrans and Jack are not 100% fit however that did not stop Albania calling up Grezda.

My main bone of contention is that IMO Middleton, McCrorie and Bates would have been better than GMS, Shinnie and Devlin.

Recent head to heads and European performances would support this line of thinking.

Albania didn't score a goal in 180 minutes.

Middleton is raw talent, didn't get a start for the under 21s and isn't yet ready for the full International squad (although that could change quickly if he begins to start games for us and does well). This whilst GMS is actually in good form, has been showing an end product and his set-up for the Naismith consolation goal on Sunday was eye-catchingly good.

McCrorie is pretty much in the same boat as Middleton and Shinnie is rightly ahead of him in the pecking order, although I'd expect that to change during the next 18 months.

Bates plays for Hamburg.

Edited by buster.

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

Albania didn't score a goal in 180 minutes.

Middleton is raw talent, didn't get a start for the under 21s and isn't yet ready for the full International squad (although that could change quickly if he begins to start games for us and does well). This whilst GMS is actually in good form, has been showing an end product and his set-up for the Naismith consolation goal on Sunday was eye-catchingly good.

McCrorie is pretty much in the same boat as Middleton and Shinnie is rightly ahead of him in the pecking order, although I'd expect that to change during the next 18 months.

Bates plays for Hamburg.

Middleton - has scored 3 goals this season with 1 assist and has only played 284 minutes.

GMS - has scored 4 goals this season and also has 1 assist whilst playing 1054 minutes.

Glen Middleton is very raw but undoubtedly has more potential.

As for Bates playing for Hamburg - Charlie Mulgrew was playing 3rd tier football last season.

In short McLeish should be looking to the future not turning to middle of the road Aberdeen players who have not qualified for the group stages of a European tournament in 11 years.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle