Celtic Boys Club manager 'stuffed banknotes in boy's mouth'

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this
Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Leader of the Scottish Conservatives
MSP for Edinburgh Central
Scottish Parliament

This was on FF and is the reply from the Scottish Conservatives to a constituent.

As an aside, I recently emailed and asked my MP and MSPs (for Labour and Conservative) about an independent enquiry. Still waiting for some responses, but from one the feeling was that this was a new question or one he hadn't been asked before. So although it's big news to us, for many of them it barely registers. 

If the main parties start getting requests for to pick this up, or to at least ask about it (ask the question at Holyrood etc) from across the country, then it's harder to ignore. It would be good if posters could spend 5 mins asking the questions of their local representatives - it's only a few e-mails and a few sentences. Especially if you live in areas where its less likely to be in the public's attention and they may not have received requests.

Edited by Rick Roberts
typo

Some interesting stuff from Tomkins. 

Positive from SFA, i guess. Although cant help think that they'll want this over with as quickly as possible and will do whatever gets there.

Good to see him not kowtowing to Lawwell and celtic. Very direct.   

9 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

She has summed it up very well there.  And I must say she is showing remarkable restraint, under the circumstances.

I've always hated Celtc but now I find them utterly repulsive.  The SNP aren't far behind.