Jump to content

 

 

Celtic Boys Club manager 'stuffed banknotes in boy's mouth'


Recommended Posts

"About 25 victims of molestation at Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, have raised a class action under powers that have only recently come into use"

Probably the only time that the words 'Celtic' and 'class' have figured in a sentence without irony. 

 

Celtic must defend legal action from boys club sex abuse survivors

Marc Horne

Wednesday November 10 2021, 12.01am, The Times

 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-must-defend-legal-action-from-boys-club-sex-abuse-survivors-62hlpqkgb

 

About 25 victims of molestation at Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, have raised a class action under powers that have only recently come into use

 

A multimillion-pound lawsuit against Celtic FC by survivors of sexual abuse has taken a significant step forward.

About 25 victims of molestation at Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, have raised a class action under powers that have only recently come into use.

It has emerged that a hearing took place at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in which judge Lord Ericht agreed to allow the case to move to the next stage, which ensures lawyers for Celtic FC will need to respond to the allegations.

A summons is expected to be served on Celtic FC within the next two weeks.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors Scotland, said it would set out the alleged relationship between Celtic and Celtic Boys Club

 

Celtic previously said that it was “appalled by any form of historic abuse” but maintained it was a “separate entity” to the boys club, a claim which has been challenged by documents unearthed by The Times.

 

“This group action against Celtic has leapt the first hurdle,” McGuire said. “This an important milestone in the fight for justice for abuse survivors.

“The court has authorised the papers to be formally served on Celtic. That means the club will have to provide a formal written response to the case.”

He expected there would be a hearing before a judge in the new year.

“This should leave Celtic in absolutely no doubt that we’re serious about this fight and will pursue it with absolute commitment.,” he said. “We would hope the time for Celtic’s obfuscation has ended and the time for proper, meaningful dialogue is here. Celtic will have to defend this in court.”

 

Four men associated with Celtic Boys Club or Celtic have been convicted of sexual abuse against boys.

Last month Thompsons placed a public notice, a required first step in the “group proceedings” action, which urged other survivors to come forward. It says several others had been in contact with claims they suffered abuse and may now join the legal action.

Group proceedings were introduced into the legal system last year. They allow groups of two or more people with the same, or similar, claims to raise a single action in the Court of Session.

 

A Celtic FC spokesman told the Daily Record: “The club is continuing to deal with these sensitive matters in conjunction with its advisers.

“The club again expresses its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to those affected and reiterates it will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of law.”

 

 

 

Edited by Uilleam
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.