[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Spartak Moscow

Coulibally and the two fullbacks struggled a bit tonight and seemed strangely flat but all in all a decent result and another step up the learning curve for a new team. MOTM for me was between Kent, Worral and Jack. 

It’s difficult to objectively define this. We got an amazing result away to a fine Spanish side, then beat a very poor Austrian one with some determination. Tonight I think two mediocre Europa sides battled it out. It’s a lot better than where we were a year ago, but it’s disapponting that we lacked the tenacious fire that I know we’re capable of.

i predicted we would struggle tonight though. Regardless of their league positions, Spartak are filled with internationalists from decent nations. 

They are no mugs.

Jack is such a good player to have in these games and I was disappointed he went off but perhaps he was feeling it after a few weeks out.

Coulibaly hasn't been the same player at all after his injury and needs to up his game when on the ball.  Like Toral, Hyndman and Goss, I hope he's not another midfielder that looks good initially then quickly falls away.

Just now, ian1964 said:

SG has just said it could prove to be a valuable point come at end of the day, I tend to agree with that, Spartak are a good side and we continue to improve.

Just compare it to last season in Europe ☺️.

Blom is a hopeless referee. I think he should be called MacBlom. He gave a decision once that knocked Scotland out of a big tournament. I can't remember it exactly just that it happened.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Blom is a hopeless referee. I think he should be called MacBlom. He gave a decision once that knocked Scotland out of a big tournament. I can't remember it exactly just that it happened.

In my view he certainly let them away with a lot while booking ours for relatively minor transgressions.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Agreed.

I did shout for a penalty when Gresda went down, IMO he clearly touched the ball first and there was contact on him, although it might have been soft

Just didnt have that cutting edge in the final third but overall its still mass progress to be sitting top of the group at the half way stage in a group that doesnt have a easy team at all. I  think we can go to Moscow and come away with a point and that sets up Villareal at Ibrox nicely.