[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Spartak Moscow

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're below Hearts, Celtc, Livi and Killie and on equal points with Hibs, in the league.  We couldn't beat a poor Aberdeen side and our recent record against Hibs isn't much to shout about.

Until these things change, there's no point appearing boastful.

Even when we do, there's no class in being boastful.   

I thought we were decent enough last night but just lacked that bit of quality when it mattered.  Says a lot though when a team like Spartak are now leaving Ibrox grateful of a point.

It always beggars belief when people start throwing "facts" about and leave nigh all context aside. Like the came against Aberdeen, when they got essentially one lucky shot away. Same with Livingston, who got a free-kick that never was and then lucky with the goal, their only real chance of the game.

Whoever is ahead of us in the league (and EL) table right now has won exactly nothing ... some temporary bragging rights aside.

As for yesterday ... Hanni cost them 7.25m, Fernando 11.25m. There is every chance that we will get a doing by Villareal at home and Spartak in Moscow, so better be prepared for more "disappointment". They have talent and quality, some of that clicked yesterday when the Spaniards hammered Rapid 5-0, while the other didn't with Spartak. We can always try to counter that with effort and all, but shouldn't be under any illusion that we have a team that can match those two on a regular basis.

We are very good at "controlling" games at home by playing with a high intensity and pressing the game with the crowd behind us.

But my word we are poor at turning that into chances and goals. For all the praise Kent etc get, our final ball is consistently poor and we almost never manage an attempt on goal from a set piece. These are very concerning things.

In my opinion in January we still need a player who offers us genuine aerial threat. Like I highlighted in the transfer window, we have a team full of crossers but almost no-one who is very strong in the air.

We also need an attacking winger with more finesse and technique. Ejaria offers this is in the middle, he looked very threatening last night. Kent and Candeias's hustle and bustle are fine but only go so far, against stronger opposition they just lack the quality and finesse necessary to put something on a plate for Morelos. The cross always seems to hit the first man or go over everyone.

This side have so much promise but Gerrard was right to play down the hype and stress we've still got some way to go.

Edited by DMAA

To be more positive, we really are good at the controlling the game side. Jack was excellent and a number of others were good too.

Spartak Moscow haven't spent as much as some have suggested (net spend of minus £10m this season), but have spent a good 55m Euros over 3 seasons. They had much better players than us on paper but hardly got a sniff last night. It was quite remarkable and I bet they got a bit of a shock. 

Gerrard has built solid foundations and it's a great position to be in to be dominating teams like that and just lacking one or two players with more quality in the final third.

11 hours ago, craig said:

The amount of drinks you’ve had is clearly affecting your judgement.

It wasn’t “complete garbage” at all.  We played very well first half and pinned them back, we just lacked the final ball in the final 3rd.

We were poor second half but “total garbage” is a stretch.

I am entitled to my opinion. I thought we were rubbish last night. 

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're below Hearts, Celtc, Livi and Killie and on equal points with Hibs, in the league.  We couldn't beat a poor Aberdeen side and our recent record against Hibs isn't much to shout about.

Until these things change, there's no point appearing boastful.

Whilst this is technically true, it is amazing just how much revisionism there is around that Aberdeen game.  At the time we were almost unanimously lauding our team for having been the better team playing for 80 minutes with 10 men.  It is really disappointing when people then trot out the above with absolutely zero context.  We gave them an extra man for bout 85% of the game, were the better team and only conceded an equalizer with the last kick of the ball.

Some context please !!

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I mentioned what you're saying.

I only need eyes to see it for the proof that we're a class above the sheep in particular. As for hibs who also lost at Livi they have had an easier run than us. Let's see how they look after playing both sheep and Hearts away in the next few weeks.

The Euro quality of play and consistency just has to come under this management team who have led us to a Scottish record unbeaten run in Europe. And that is something any fan of any team in the country would be boastful about. Do you really think sheep hearts and hubz could compile a Euro run like that?

We're getting there quicker than I thought we would with such a squad overhaul and new management. Just under a quarter of the way through the season. I expect us to blow the sheep out of the water Sunday. But that will be nothing to be boastful about because we're a class above them. ?

Almost every time you mention us blowing teams out the water, we lose.  So on YOUR head be it on Sunday.

Last night was a missed opportunity, achieving the seven point mark at the half way stage, would almost seen us qualify. I was on my feet when the ball was passed to Grezda in the final seconds, it was his chance to become a hero and almost certainly book himself a starting berth come Sunday. The ball sailed over the bar and our players slumped to the turf. The effort was there last evening, but our 23rd game of the season in the last week of October is revealing fatigue.

Two things, firstly we missed Arfield. Those constant twenty yard diagonal shuttles, create angles and take opposition players away. Secondly, we regained possession regularly, only to give it away. We could not achieve that half yard before the opposition stuck a foot in or blocked the pass. Spartak brought a physicality we found hard to shake, their front two continually sprinted to shut down both our centre backs when we were looking for an out ball.

Oh, and the Ref' was frustratingly inconsistent.