Billy Kirkwood Appointed Loans Manager

22 hours ago, pete said:

There is a down side in that if the players disliked him as a coach.

Where is the downside to it ?  That makes no sense.  It isn’t as if he will be coaching them while they are on loan, he will be reviewing their performances and reporting back to the club.

On 27 October 2018 at 09:50, der Berliner said:

All in all, this looks like a very professional set up now, accross all age groups and even gender. Not even during the NIAR period did we probably have that.

Jeez.

During NIAR, Ewen Chester's scouting centred around the Rothman's Football Year Book and his contacts in agentland. This was one of my pet peeves during the first half of Murray's tenure.

On 27/10/2018 at 15:50, craig said:

Because we have girls teams, ladies teams and female coaches ?

... and have been trying to get better coaches on a longer team deal, people who build a long-term team rather than having a dozen girls playing with 5 to 8 new players every season. Right now still more a community thing like the founders trail or the like, but slowly we set them up to wear our jersey with a chance to wwrest control of that domain from Glasgow City, Hibs et al.

14 hours ago, craig said:

Where is the downside to it ?  That makes no sense.  It isn’t as if he will be coaching them while they are on loan, he will be reviewing their performances and reporting back to the club.

He will have a decision on the guy's career. You have obviously never worked under a boss you can't get on with. Just the thought of him making a decision on your career drains the life out of you. It makes perfect sense to me. You only have to look at Andy Halliday. Last season he was a laughing stock and under Gerrard he is a new player. Work and football is about confidence and if you have no confidence your boss will give you an honest crack of the whip then it affects your whole life.

3 hours ago, pete said:

He will have a decision on the guy's career. You have obviously never worked under a boss you can't get on with. Just the thought of him making a decision on your career drains the life out of you. It makes perfect sense to me. You only have to look at Andy Halliday. Last season he was a laughing stock and under Gerrard he is a new player. Work and football is about confidence and if you have no confidence your boss will give you an honest crack of the whip then it affects your whole life.

They wont have much of a career anyway if they are prepared to let their own dislike of a former coach dictate their application to their chosen profession.  It makes almost zero sense to me.  They are playing for other clubs and other coaches. If they choose to not perform at their loan club because a former coach at their parent club is watching over them then do we really want them back at Rangers ?

Using Halliday as an example makes little sense to me.  He now has a completely different coach to the one he was working under previously, and that previous coach isn't making decisions on his future.  Halliday is doing well right now because he trusts SG and SG trusts him - but Kirkwood doesn't come into that situation at all because he wouldn't be coaching these loan players.

Its pointless saying "you've never worked under a boss you cant get along with" because none of these loan players will be working for Kirkwood - he is merely watching their development and reporting back to the club.  He will be nothing more than an interested viewer at games and, indeed, doesn't even need to inform players he will be watching them.  The fear of inaccuracy is if Kirkwood doesn't like a player, not if a player doesn't like him.

"If you have no confidence your boss....." - I think you are misunderstanding Kirkwood's role.  He won't be the boss of these players, their loan club are their boss unless they are playing for Rangers development squad, and then it will be Murty et al.  Kirkwood will be the Loans Manager from a RFC perspective, watching over the players and how they are doing at their loan clubs - he won't be their boss in terms of their footballing development - he will have almost zero hands-on work with them

2 hours ago, craig said:

They wont have much of a career anyway if they are prepared to let their own dislike of a former coach dictate their application to their chosen profession.  It makes almost zero sense to me.  They are playing for other clubs and other coaches. If they choose to not perform at their loan club because a former coach at their parent club is watching over them then do we really want them back at Rangers ?

Using Halliday as an example makes little sense to me.  He now has a completely different coach to the one he was working under previously, and that previous coach isn't making decisions on his future.  Halliday is doing well right now because he trusts SG and SG trusts him - but Kirkwood doesn't come into that situation at all because he wouldn't be coaching these loan players.

Its pointless saying "you've never worked under a boss you cant get along with" because none of these loan players will be working for Kirkwood - he is merely watching their development and reporting back to the club.  He will be nothing more than an interested viewer at games and, indeed, doesn't even need to inform players he will be watching them.  The fear of inaccuracy is if Kirkwood doesn't like a player, not if a player doesn't like him.

"If you have no confidence your boss....." - I think you are misunderstanding Kirkwood's role.  He won't be the boss of these players, their loan club are their boss unless they are playing for Rangers development squad, and then it will be Murty et al.  Kirkwood will be the Loans Manager from a RFC perspective, watching over the players and how they are doing at their loan clubs - he won't be their boss in terms of their footballing development - he will have almost zero hands-on work with them

If it makes no sense to you then there is no point in discussing it further.