12 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

NB: Noted that someone threw Windass into the fray. Windass, who played 73 games for us, earning himself 19 goals and 13 assists. The bulk of which came last season, where he could do no wrong for some fans and certain managers, playing 41 games, scoring 18 times and assisting 8 goals. Deduct the numbers from the total and you wonder what he did in those other 32 games? His current standing is 17 games, 2 goals, 1 assist.

His replacements are Murphy (this season: 8 games, 1 goal, 3 assists), Middleton (13, 3 goals, 1 assist), and Kent (19, 3 goals and 1 assist). And all of them usually contribute far more in each game that Windass ever did, for he relied far too much on others doing the donkey work.

You're not being very fair in your assessment. For a start my view on Windass on this forum have been clear, I was glad to see him go.

All I said was that our starting line-up yesterday had less goals in it and actually looked more defensive because his "second striker" position has been replaced with a central midfield position. The three players you mention as replacements are not his replacements, they all play in the left wing position. Windass's position was replaced with a central midfielder yesterday; Ejaria or Coulibaly.

The numbers you quoted also do not give a fair overview of Windass's goal threat because they include his first season under Warburton when he was playing on the wing. He become a goal threat last season as a second stiker, which is the position my post was referencing.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

You're not being very fair in your assessment. For a start my view on Windass on this forum have been clear, I was glad to see him go.

All I said was that our starting line-up yesterday had less goals in it and actually looked more defensive because his "second striker" position has been replaced with a central midfield position. The three players you mention as replacements are not his replacements, they all play in the left wing position. Windass's position was replaced with a central midfielder yesterday; Ejaria or Coulibaly.

The numbers you quoted also do not give a fair overview of Windass's goal threat because they include his first season under Warburton when he was playing on the wing. He become a goal threat last season as a second stiker, which is the position my post was referencing.

Just to add that Windass was very much part of the instant solution to previously being without Morelos/CF against Aberdeen (red card).

I don't think Arfield could have been fully 100% yesterday and it cut more options and/or probably delayed his eventual sub appearence.

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

If we made tons of chances and Sadiq couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo you could point fingers at him but we created next to nothing

Exactly. A lot of excuses are being made on here but yet again our lack of flair and attacking quality has been exposed. We've been woeful in the final third a number of times this season and for some reason we've stuck with the same losing formula, a 4-5-1 with Kent, Candeias and Ejaria/Arfield tasked with breaking teams down.

We desperately need to try something different or it's going to keep happening. Those guys aren't good enough to be given that responsibility.

Edit: Ejaria is good enough but he'd be far more effective in a more attacking system with better players

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

All the plans you have outlined revolve around the strikers. We should be able to change the game regardless of the striking personel (including Sadiq). If we made tons of chances and Sadiq couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo you could point fingers at him but we created next to nothing. That suggests to me that the striker option is not the core problem but our failings lie in the way we are set up behind the strikers. 

Thats not strictly true. Sadiq was caught offside how many times, 5/6 possibly more?

It got to the point Gerrard was shouting at the player to be more aware and to stop blindly running. Also there were times during the game Sadiq was woefully out of position to the point you didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I'm not laying it all at Sadiq's door and like Gerrard said; the buck stops with him. But I'll be surprised if Sadiq starts again for us.

There sure has to be - levelled - blame laid upon SG's doorstep. We've had Middleton, Grezda and Sadiq here for nigh the entire season, but they got hardly any game time. Grezda was back from injury and probably not 100 % fit (a few weeks ago, at least). Sadiq seemingly had his problems, but he gave it his all yesterday ... and it is IMHO pretty poor to lay much blame on him, delivery to him and support play was sub-standard yesterday. Different matter with Middleton though. He's fit, willing and able. He should have played a lot more, perhaps not from the start, but 20 to 30 misn each game. He's got ability, guile and a willingness that we lacked yesterday, at Hamilton and before.

Sidenote ... people should keep the excuse - club in the locker. It creates a negativity that needs not to be there. If someone says Beaton got a few decisions wrong, Grezda was unlucky on Wednesday at the end, or the like, it states variables, opinions and at times facts. Stuff that belong to the objective picture and are usually not meant to "excuse" a defeat or draw. More often than not, those utilizing the excuse - club are frustrated and are no ecxactly looking for reasoned debate - which is understandable ... but should not set the tone.

27 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Sidenote ... people should keep the excuse - club in the locker. It creates a negativity that needs not to be there. If someone says Beaton got a few decisions wrong, Grezda was unlucky on Wednesday at the end, or the like, it states variables, opinions and at times facts. Stuff that belong to the objective picture and are usually not meant to "excuse" a defeat or draw. More often than not, those utilizing the excuse - club are frustrated and are no ecxactly looking for reasoned debate - which is understandable ... but should not set the tone.

I was mainly referring to the blame for the loss primarily being put on the striker situation in some comments. Our performance in the final 3rd was very similar to a number of our games this season and individual variables of this game weren't the cause of our failure to create chances and some comments did imply they were.

As you said earlier in your post, Gerrard needs to take the blame because our set-up hasn't worked in these kind of games and he's still not changing it or even making in-game changes until the last few minutes.

Edited by DMAA

3 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

Advocaat in his time of charge would have changed it at half time or maybe even earlier. That's my main gripe with Mr Gerrard to date - the lack of subs or the timing of them 

Who the hell came up with the mind set of making subs at 60/70 mins (or even later). It's crazy. It was obvious to all that it wasn't working so make the changes. I would have hoped SG would be a proactive manager as opposed to reactionary when it came to subs.