Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

12 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Have we ever even won the league not playing primarily 4-4-2?

The 4-4-2 is a relatively recent adoption; It first appears in the 80's or just earlier, I'd say -- don't quote me on that, though; it's been a while since I read Wilson's book and I don't have it to hand. (And that's a proper 4-4-2, not a 4-2-4 that the Hungarian's favoured in the 50's.) It certainly became most popular in the 90's.

We've probably won more leagues not using a 4-4-2. 

It comes down to players and we haven't any "big players" as per the SG interview (big games/big moments/big players step-up).

I think we have several who could become 'big players' (eg. Morelos, Kent, Middleton, etc.) but no-one is quite there yet.

I don't know if Jack isn't quite a 100% but I'd tend to keep playing him and push him to become a more forceful player and help dictate tempo.

Perhaps it's time to start Middleton / play both Lafferty and Morelos up top  (v St.Mirren)

Not sure what the story is with Grezda but if we don't see him this weekend, you start to wonder.

Next International break, drill the defence in playing three at the back and hopefully with Barisic back, start to use it more often.

Fair play to all who have managed to take a step back and add some perspective on our recent poor form. Still a bit raw for me personally tbh. 

I just want us to create more. If their keeper is making saves that means we are creating chances and that is not happening at the moment. We need to work out a system that gets the best out if the 5 players playing in midfield and on the flanks behind Morelos. Earlier in the season I thought we were cracking it but now I'm none the wiser about how we acheive this

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Fair play to all who have managed to take a step back and add some perspective on our recent poor form. Still a bit raw for me personally tbh. 

I just want us to create more. If their keeper is making saves that means we are creating chances and that is not happening at the moment. We need to work out a system that gets the best out if the 5 players playing in midfield and on the flanks behind Morelos. Earlier in the season I thought we were cracking it but now I'm none the wiser about how we acheive this

We are all frustrated, however we are creating chances, their keeper had a few good saves, we also had numerous corners which we should have scored from a couple of them, Arfield missed a sitter as well.

16 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

We are all frustrated, however we are creating chances, their keeper had a few good saves, we also had numerous corners which we should have scored from a couple of them, Arfield missed a sitter as well.

Fair enough but we are not creating enough. Considering how much ball we have making the keeper make a few good saves isnot good enough

I didn't think their keeper made any outstanding saves, if he had let any of them in I would have considered it a blunder. However on saying that a least we did have a few attempts last night and there is then the chance that their keeper might not deal with it.

26 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Fair enough but we are not creating enough. Considering how much ball we have making the keeper make a few good saves isnot good enough

But that's why teams park the bus - to limit chances against better opposition.

It's really difficult to break down a bank of ten players - we defended like that ourselves for many games (with some success) in Europe - so it's not a given we're going to create 10 chances in every match with the shoe on the other foot.  As such, when we do create chances - which we did last night - we have to take them and, unfortunately, we missed three excellent ones in particular whilst the 'keeper made one superb save from a Kent drive that looked destined for the bottom corner.

Meanwhile, Killie and Aberdeen create a couple each and score one goal each which is really annoying given we dominated both games.

12 minutes ago, les186 said:

I didn't think their keeper made any outstanding saves, if he had let any of them in I would have considered it a blunder. However on saying that a least we did have a few attempts last night and there is then the chance that their keeper might not deal with it.

Believe me, the one from Kent was top, top class.  Doesn't look all that impressive on the TV but we were right behind it, and he seen it very late as Kent switched the ball to his right foot and hit it very well.

He also made a fine save from a header which was looping in.  The save wasn't astounding but he did well to get the ball out of danger.