Uncalled for booing

12 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

Kent does very little for me. In 21 games this season he has scored 3 goals and had two assists. In only a few of those games he was subbed so has played 78% thats most of the minutes of those 1890 mins available. I cant remember the last time he hit the by-line. He gets to the edge of the box and then cuts in field mostly to a congested central area and more often than not the ball ends up in or around the D or within 5-10 yards of it either losing it or laying back to one of our CDM's. He never seems to be able to slide/slot the ball through or see a pass to a player making runs into the box. Or he picks the ball up deep and runs across the field from one wing to the other and eventually lays off a short pass to Tav. What concerns me is that he looks busy and because of that players around him give him the ball expecting him to do something with it whereas in truth there is virtually no end product. He loses the ball far too easily either because he's eased off it too easily or because he loses control of it. 

A agree with you to some extent re Kent.  By his direct approach he draws players in and that should allow more space for other players.  But as you suggest he does try to overdo it when he should be looking for a smart pass.  Being able to do the latter, however does also depend on other players being in a position where they can receive a pass which allows them the possibility of a shot on goal or a pass across the box.

With respect to Middleton he looks a promising player but from what I have seen his greatest asset is his directness and pace.  Unfortunately, in packed defences his pace becomes less useable because there is no space to run into.  I also think that defenders now know that he looks to hit the ball behind them and beat them pace and have adjusted accordingly.  He needs to vary his game and his crossfield pass in the last minute against Spartak shows he has the ability to do that.  We have to hope he continues to develop and have realistic expectations about what we expect from him.

Must be a generational thing. I remember teams with the likes of a Gazza & Laudrup, who won the league every year, getting booed off after draws at home, even when we were 10 points clear at the top of the table. Nowadays the young team like to get behind bang average players who consistently fail to get results. I’ve always believed that you get what you are prepared to put up with. If folk start accepting performances like the last 4, then we will never see the league flag back at Ibrox. But maybe I’m living in the past. Sad fact is most of the young fans today have never seen a proper Rangers team, so probably think Candeias, Halliday, Ryan Kent etc are good players. That seems to be the view on my twitter timeline anyway, where you are called a ‘Rangers Da’ if you think we should be better than Celtic..

I don't think it's the place of the crowd to be making such responses to an under par performance. That's the managers job and I'm more than confident he's stating in no uncertain terms that it's not good enough. Behind closed doors which is the proper place for it.

Though he did in fact recently state publicly that if the players aren't up to our expectations they will be replaced. I would prefer the crowd respond with a dignified silence and leave the booing to the manager. It gets the same message across.  

5 hours ago, T-1000 said:

A agree with you to some extent re Kent.  By his direct approach he draws players in and that should allow more space for other players.  But as you suggest he does try to overdo it when he should be looking for a smart pass.  Being able to do the latter, however does also depend on other players being in a position where they can receive a pass which allows them the possibility of a shot on goal or a pass across the box.

With respect to Middleton he looks a promising player but from what I have seen his greatest asset is his directness and pace.  Unfortunately, in packed defences his pace becomes less useable because there is no space to run into.  I also think that defenders now know that he looks to hit the ball behind them and beat them pace and have adjusted accordingly.  He needs to vary his game and his crossfield pass in the last minute against Spartak shows he has the ability to do that.  We have to hope he continues to develop and have realistic expectations about what we expect from him.

What you have described has been a feature of our play during poor results and its something everyone including SG have drawn attention to. There are players in the positions however the decision making has been poor i.e there are men avail but are not being played in due to wrong choices being made.

Edited by Big Jaws