Gerrard brands Daniel Candeias' red card an 'embarrassment'

6 hours ago, ian1964 said:

ST MIRREN keeper Craig Samson has branded Daniel Candeias as “lacking class” after his Paisley red card.

The Rangers star was shown a second yellow card by ref Willie Collum after a tangle with Anton Ferdinand.

But TV pictures suggested the Portuguese frontman did nothing wrong and Ferdinand was the aggressor — and boss Steven Gerrard branded the decision “embarrassing”.

The footage showed Samson putting his arm around the winger and the keeper said: “I was asking him to stop being so disrespectful. When they scored the second goal he ran past and gave Anton a bit of stick, telling him to ‘shoosh’ and blowing him kisses.

“So when he ran past me I just grabbed him and said ‘Look, there’s no need to be so disrespectful. You’ve won the game so go and celebrate with your team-mates.’

“To be honest, he agreed with me and apologised. But Anton wasn’t very happy with what was happening.

“I don’t know what was said between the two of them — but I thought Candeias was lacking a wee bit of class in doing what he was doing.”

Candeias had hit the opener with a speculative cross-cum-shot with ten minutes to go.

Samson — who had coins thrown at him in the aftermath of the goal — added: “If he scored from a cross, then he celebrates the second goal like that, I thought it was a bit disappointing.

“I’ve no idea why he got a second yellow card. All I know is, you don’t need to act the way he was, rubbing it in and showing complete disrespect to your opponents.

“Anton obviously wasn’t happy because of it.

“I don’t know what the two of them said to each other to make Candeias get sent off, but there was no need for him to do what he did.

“He’d already won the game — just go and shake hands.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3443195/rangers-daniel-cadeias-lacked-class-st-mirren-craig-samson/

No mention of the lack of class from Ferdinand I see; he should recieve a red card and Candeias should have his card scrubbed.   On a side note did anyone see the little piece they did on Anton Ferdinand before the game? Not the sharpest pencil in the box; thick as shit in fact.

4 hours ago, Briton said:

No mention of the lack of class from Ferdinand I see; he should recieve a red card and Candeias should have his card scrubbed.   On a side note did anyone see the little piece they did on Anton Ferdinand before the game? Not the sharpest pencil in the box; thick as shit in fact.

Didn't notice it during the game (they were showing the goal), but Ferdinand actually got a yellow for his part in this.

But this is very much like the Tavernier incident with Stokes early last season, where the latter wrestled Tav to the ground yet both got a yellow. Candeias did absolutely nothing to warrant a second yellow and you would hope the club demands an explanation from Collum. It will probably be an "honest mistake" and "sorry about the rules re yellows" thing ...

When it happened, my second thought after "WTF?" was whether we'll be playing the Scum anytime soon and Daniel needs a suspension. He's our most potent weapon on the right ...

Edited by der Berliner

That's the second time Candeias has lacked the class we'd expect from a Rangers player in a short space of time, he refused to shake hands with Livingstone players not long ago. Taunting opposition players is the kind of thing you expect from the likes of Griffiths not a Rangers player.

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That's the second time Candeias has lacked the class we'd expect from a Rangers player in a short space of time, he refused to shake hands with Livingstone players not long ago. Taunting opposition players is the kind of thing you expect from the likes of Griffiths not a Rangers player.

But certainly not worthy of a yellow card...

5 hours ago, DMAA said:

I don't think he lacked class Saturday though - what did he do that was classless ?  How do you know that Ferdinand hadn't been giving him verbals during the game ?  All he really did was celebrate a goal - chances are (yes, I am surmising) that Ferdinand told Candeias he never meant to score from his "cross-cum-shot" and hence why Candeias "shushed" him.