Gerrard brands Daniel Candeias' red card an 'embarrassment'

This appeal stuff is clearly something "half-baked" as we say.

You can't appeal blatently wrong yellow cards, but you can appeal stone-wall, darkest of dark Red cards? The latter mainly to get a player free from an instant (Valid) ban to play in an important game ... despite knowing that he deserved his marching orders?

This is the 21st century. It should be a simple thing to re-check fouls and cards given within minutes or hours of a game and/or question the refs & linesmen about their view. After that you can deem a card appealable, no matter the colour. Brown's tackle on Boyce (?) of Ross County was as Red as it gets, they appealed solely to have him available for the OF game. Same with Saints, who appealed a perfectly good Red on one of their players to have him available for their next game, as they were runningout of players ... or so they said during the commentary.

That was not the intention of the appeal process ... and it beggars belief that they let it run in this way for so long.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

This appeal stuff is clearly something "half-baked" as we say.

You can't appeal blatently wrong yellow cards, but you can appeal stone-wall, darkest of dark Red cards? The latter mainly to get a player free from an instant (Valid) ban to play in an important game ... despite knowing that he deserved his marching orders?

This is the 21st century. It should be a simple thing to re-check fouls and cards given within minutes or hours of a game and/or question the refs & linesmen about their view. After that you can deem a card appealable, no matter the colour. Brown's tackle on Boyce (?) of Ross County was as Red as it gets, they appealed solely to have him available for the OF game. Same with Saints, who appealed a perfectly good Red on one of their players to have him available for their next game, as they were runningout of players ... or so they said during the commentary.

That was not the intention of the appeal process ... and it beggars belief that they let it run in this way for so long.

Agree, all appeals should be heard on a Tuesday morning to cut out that free up for the next game. At least before the next game. To be honest though we have also used it in our favour in the past.

If this appeal is successful remember the line that most pundits have used.......'the important thing is that the right decision is made or eventually reached'.

Me thinks that won't be the first thing that springs to most of their minds (if appeal successful).

The whole situation is embarrassing....and as a result (as it stands), Candeias will miss at least 1 match.

He got a stupid yellow for celebrating the 1st goal (Leaving the field to celebrate with fans???), and a 2nd for doing nothing.  In any even, the 1st one could have been prevented.  Why are more fans not getting on Candeias' back, the same way that they did with Morelos for picking up a 2nd booking (in different games) in the League cup - resulting in him missing the Semi-final.

Candeias is an important player for us, and has been playing well.

1. Home
  2. Sport
  3. Football
  4. Rangers FC

Rangers appeal red card shown to Daniel Candeias in St Mirren win

The Ibrox club will lodge an appeal to the SFA.

By
Record Sport Online
  • 06:00, 7 NOV 2018
  • UPDATED14:46, 7 NOV 2018

The Ibrox club have asked the SFA for a hearing and their request has been granted. Even though there is usually no mechanism to overturn a second yellow Gers will get the chance to outline their case on Wednesday.

A second yellow can only be contested in cases of simulation or mistaken identity it's that latter upon which Rangers are basing their challenge.

And ref Willie Collum will have to explain why he handed Candeias a second booking in the wake of Rangers’ second goal in the 2-0 win.

Candeias was sent off after being shown a second yellow and ordinarily you can't appeal a red card shown for two bookings.

0_18087652.jpg
Anton Ferdinand exchanges words with Alfredo Morelos (Image: SNS Group)

But Rangers are launching an appeal due to the extraordinary nature of his second booking.

The Portuguese was shown his second yellow after a clash with Saints defender Anton Ferdinand but TV pictures clearly showed him doing nothing wrong.

Ferdinand had grabbed Candeias around his shoulder before lifting his fist into his face.

It happened as Candeias celebrated Alfredo Morelos' goal in the 2-0 win. His first booking was a result of him celebrating with the crowd after he broke the deadlock.

0_18087958.jpg
(Image: SNS Group)

Speaking about the decision, Candeias said: “I saw the first yellow for celebrating with the fans. In the second goal I celebrated exuberantly because we were being provoked by the opponents.

"Their keeper came up to me and said to me, ‘You’re winning, you do not have to do that’. I agreed and said it was about the moment because I rarely get into trouble.

“Until the central defender, Ferdinand, came up and began to squeeze my shoulder and then my neck. And I, doing nothing, saw the second yellow. There is no justification for the sending-off and everyone was incredulous with the red card.”

Edited by BEARGER

I didn’t think the decision to book him in and of itself indicated bias because you see people getting booked for nothing all the time because they were part of an altercation, booking both is the easy way out for the ref. But to do it’s when he’s already on a yellow is shocking. I wish there was a camera angle showing his view because my guess is he barely saw what happened. 

He did nothing to warrant the second yellow and I can see no way it wont be rescinded. How in the world could they explain justification for it. He did absolutely nothing. Booked for being manhandled by Ferdinand?