Gerrard brands Daniel Candeias' red card an 'embarrassment'

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The refs are definitely incompetent.  But we do seem to get more than our fair share of bad decisions. 

Very true.  I know we've discussed this before but maybe as a club we should be more vocal about the poor decisions against us.  I don't personally like doing that, but it would appear to have given Celtic and Hibs an advantage so maybe we have to.

Do we know yet why that card was given to DC yet?  I still can't believe it was for that incident because there is no way the ref could interpret that as being his fault in any way.  In fact, I wouldn't have thought Ferdinand deserved a yellow for that either.  So, was there something else that we've missed?  If it was for that incident, Collum deserves to be punished.  We have to set and maintain standards, and allowing him to ref more SPL games after that would be an embarrassment to other refs ..... surely.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The refs are definitely incompetent.  But we do seem to get more than our fair share of bad decisions. 

David Edgar said yesterday that Rangers get a yellow card 1 out of 4.5 fouls. Celtic's average is 1 out of 9.5 fouls.

50 minutes ago, pete said:

David Edgar said yesterday that Rangers get a yellow card 1 out of 4.5 fouls. Celtic's average is 1 out of 9.5 fouls.

Wow! That’s a damming statistic and clear evidence of an unfair advantage (corruption) being given to Shame FC. I’m starting to wonder if the officials DO have a “let’s get Rangers” WhatsApp group???

Edited by cooponthewing

8 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Very true.  I know we've discussed this before but maybe as a club we should be more vocal about the poor decisions against us.  I don't personally like doing that, but it would appear to have given Celtic and Hibs an advantage so maybe we have to.

Do we know yet why that card was given to DC yet?  I still can't believe it was for that incident because there is no way the ref could interpret that as being his fault in any way.  In fact, I wouldn't have thought Ferdinand deserved a yellow for that either.  So, was there something else that we've missed?  If it was for that incident, Collum deserves to be punished.  We have to set and maintain standards, and allowing him to ref more SPL games after that would be an embarrassment to other refs ..... surely.

Ferdinand definitely DID deserve yellow for it.  He barges Candeias, then grabs him round the neck and also has a sly wee punch as he’s releasing him.  Certain yellow.

34 minutes ago, craig said:

Ferdinand definitely DID deserve yellow for it.  He barges Candeias, then grabs him round the neck and also has a sly wee punch as he’s releasing him.  Certain yellow.

Not sure it was a punch but he did lift his forearm in a threatening way.

ST MIRREN keeper Craig Samson has branded Daniel Candeias as “lacking class” after his Paisley red card.

The Rangers star was shown a second yellow card by ref Willie Collum after a tangle with Anton Ferdinand.

But TV pictures suggested the Portuguese frontman did nothing wrong and Ferdinand was the aggressor — and boss Steven Gerrard branded the decision “embarrassing”.

The footage showed Samson putting his arm around the winger and the keeper said: “I was asking him to stop being so disrespectful. When they scored the second goal he ran past and gave Anton a bit of stick, telling him to ‘shoosh’ and blowing him kisses.

“So when he ran past me I just grabbed him and said ‘Look, there’s no need to be so disrespectful. You’ve won the game so go and celebrate with your team-mates.’

“To be honest, he agreed with me and apologised. But Anton wasn’t very happy with what was happening.

“I don’t know what was said between the two of them — but I thought Candeias was lacking a wee bit of class in doing what he was doing.”

Candeias had hit the opener with a speculative cross-cum-shot with ten minutes to go.

Samson — who had coins thrown at him in the aftermath of the goal — added: “If he scored from a cross, then he celebrates the second goal like that, I thought it was a bit disappointing.

“I’ve no idea why he got a second yellow card. All I know is, you don’t need to act the way he was, rubbing it in and showing complete disrespect to your opponents.

“Anton obviously wasn’t happy because of it.

“I don’t know what the two of them said to each other to make Candeias get sent off, but there was no need for him to do what he did.

“He’d already won the game — just go and shake hands.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3443195/rangers-daniel-cadeias-lacked-class-st-mirren-craig-samson/