Gerrard brands Daniel Candeias' red card an 'embarrassment'

9 hours ago, DMAA said:

That's the second time Candeias has lacked the class we'd expect from a Rangers player in a short space of time, he refused to shake hands with Livingstone players not long ago. Taunting opposition players is the kind of thing you expect from the likes of Griffiths not a Rangers player.

You must be seriously short of brownie points to come out with that sh*te

22 hours ago, DMAA said:

That's the second time Candeias has lacked the class we'd expect from a Rangers player in a short space of time, he refused to shake hands with Livingstone players not long ago. Taunting opposition players is the kind of thing you expect from the likes of Griffiths not a Rangers player.

I don't agree with you assessment of class.  If the opposition kicked me at every opportunity, or abused me on the pitch, I would NOT shake hands, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.  In fact, I think this is all wrong in football.  Why should that sort of abuse be left on the pitch with a handshake?  No chance.  By shaking hands it's almost like an acknowledgement that it's ok to do that.

As for shushing other players or fans, I pod t particularly like that, but don't really see the problem with it.  Equally, it didn't bother me when Griffiths was tying their scarf to our post.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I don't agree with you assessment of class.  If the opposition kicked me at every opportunity, or abused me on the pitch, I would NOT shake hands, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.  In fact, I think this is all wrong in football.  Why should that sort of abuse be left on the pitch with a handshake?  No chance.  By shaking hands it's almost like an acknowledgement that it's ok to do that.

As for shushing other players or fans, I pod t particularly like that, but don't really see the problem with it.  Equally, it didn't bother me when Griffiths was tying their scarf to our post.

Indeed. It was an utter disgrace though that Jack did not shake May's hand after the latter jumped into his back. Oh wait, he was on the way to hospital ... well, not exactly a good excuse.

If people want respect, they have to earn it. I see a handshake after a game as some sort or respect shown to fellow sportsmen. It is not "part & parcel of the game" to foul, harass, or goad the opposition player and if you do such things, you don't get and can't expect any respect. It has become "part & parcel of the Scottish game" because Scottish referees letting it go or have developed some peculiar idea about the physicality of the sport.

Speaking to Portuguese newspaper Record, Candeias said: “I saw the first yellow for celebrating with the fans. In the second goal I celebrated exuberantly because we were being provoked by the opponents.

"Their keeper came up to me and said to me, ‘You’re winning, you do not have to do that’. I agreed and said it was about the moment because I rarely get into trouble.

“Until the central defender, Ferdinand, came up and began to squeeze my shoulder and then my neck. And I, doing nothing, saw the second yellow. There is no justification for the sending-off and everyone was incredulous with the red card.”

Candeias was signed by Pedro Caixinha last year in a deal worth around £600,000 but the winger believes the club is on the up with Steven Gerrard at the helm.

He added: “Rangers went through a bad period, but we are on track to put the club in the place it deserves. Not only for the structure it has, but above all for the fantastic fans who support us.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-star-daniel-candeias-accuses-13544128

Rangers appeal red card shown to Daniel Candeias in St Mirren win

The Ibrox club will lodge an appeal to the SFA.

Rangers have appealed against the controversial second yellow card dished out to Daniel Candeias against St Mirren.

The Ibrox club have asked the SFA for a hearing and their request has been granted. Even though there is no mechanism to overturn a second yellow, Gers will get the chance to outline their case.

And ref Willie Collum will have to explain why he handed Candeias a second booking in the wake of Rangers’ second goal in the 2-0 win.

Candeias was sent off after being shown a second yellow and ordinarily you can't appeal a red card shown for two bookings.

But Rangers are launching an appeal due to the extraordinary nature of his second booking.

The Portuguese was shown his second yellow after a clash with Saints defender Anton Ferdinand but TV pictures clearly showed him doing nothing wrong.

Ferdinand had grabbed Candeias around his shoulder before lifting his fist into his face.

It happened as Candeias celebrated Alfredo Morelos' goal in the 2-0 win. His first booking was a result of him celebrating with the crowd after he broke the deadlock.

Speaking about the decision, Candeias said: “I saw the first yellow for celebrating with the fans. In the second goal I celebrated exuberantly because we were being provoked by the opponents.

"Their keeper came up to me and said to me, ‘You’re winning, you do not have to do that’. I agreed and said it was about the moment because I rarely get into trouble.

“Until the central defender, Ferdinand, came up and began to squeeze my shoulder and then my neck. And I, doing nothing, saw the second yellow. There is no justification for the sending-off and everyone was incredulous with the red card.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-appeal-red-card-shown-13546474

8 hours ago, pete said:

Whether you believe in conspiracies or not it is strange that it seems to be only Rangers that are getting these extreme decisions against us.

I'd imagine that Collum has a record of making an arse of decisions against pretty much all teams in the Scottish top flight.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

I'd imagine that Collum has a record of making an arse of decisions against pretty much all teams in the Scottish top flight.

He does! I watched a game at Pittodrie a few years ago. I think it was the sheep v hivs and he was absolutely hopeless. He got demoted to the lower leagues for 4 games if I remember right.