[FT] Spartak 4 - 3 Rangers (Eremenko o.g. 5; Candeias 27; Middleton 42)

12 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

I feel aggrieved.   4 2 at half time and it's a different ball game.

I don't know about that.

We never looked like we could control the game and close it out.

As soon as Spartak Moscow went ahead the game changed and it looked like they were in control.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Game of emotions and hard to judge. Could have ended 6-6 for all the narrow misses, saves and shots off the metal.

Bar some bad touch by Goldson (saved for today, one might say) and better man-marking by Tav, our defense was rather solid. Ejaria needs to be flogged if he ever tries dancing his way out of trouble around our own area again (just ahed of their equalizer). Even their last goal came off a deflection. So fortune was wily today.

One might cite Morelos off-side goal, which would probably have killed them.

One may point at a ref again - handing out valid yellows in the first half, but then did not following them up with 2 or 3 professional foul - yellows in the second. But giving Morelos the yellow for not even really complaing about the foul (that never was) which he "conceeded".

At the end of the day, all it shows that this team out there is very well able to rub shoulders with millionaires like Spartak (2 or 3 of them alone cost what we spent on our entire squad) or Villareal. That should be the predominant feeling, IMHO ... and what a step forward at that.

Middleton should get that left-side slot. Tremendous job today! 

Well said. Despite some really poor moments defensively, we had terrible luck not to go 4-2 up with a wrongly chopped off goal and then terrible luck with a mad deflection for their 4th. As you say Spartak should really have had some second yellows too. And I agree re Middleton, looking forward to seeing how he does with a few games. You always trusted him to score when he got his chance. 

Edited by DMAA

11 minutes ago, les186 said:

Ian, if you'd watched it I think you would have found some words of criticism for our team,

There were guys on here moaning before the kick off!!!, continued moaning through the match!!, we must have been absolutely terrible tonight to justify the moans? we have lost away Moscow for the first time in Europe!!!, glad some of them don't sit next to me at Ibrox I would end up getting a punch in the gub!!

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

There were guys on here moaning before the kick off!!!, continued moaning through the match!!, we must have been absolutely terrible tonight to justify the moans? we have lost away Moscow for the first time in Europe!!!, glad some of them don't sit next to me at Ibrox I would end up getting a punch in the gub!!

The disappointment and subsequent criticism is due to the fact that we could have won that game.