[FT] Spartak 4 - 3 Rangers (Eremenko o.g. 5; Candeias 27; Middleton 42)

I'm bored @DMAA -- I really don't care that much.

You seem unwilling to criticise Middleton. 

For me, Middleton is more culpable than Flanagan. Arguably, Coulibaly is more culpable than both of them, seeing it again. 

We'll just need to agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

You seem unwilling to criticise Middleton

He's very readily criticised on here for poor defending and I did explain clearly why I didn't think he was at fault here.

I agree Coulibaly is more culpable. He was miles away from where he should have been as the anchor man.

Edited by DMAA

53 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He's very readily criticised on here foor poor defending and I did explain clearly why I didn't think he was at fault here.

I agree Coulibaly is more culpable. He was miles away from where he should have been as the anchor man.

If you think back to when we looked our most secure, we had:

- Jack and Coulibaly both playing at a high level in front fof the defence

- we had a back 4 that picked itself and stayed that way.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

If you think back to when we looked our most secure, we had:

- Jack and Coulibaly both playing at a high level in front fof the defence

- we had a back 4 that picked itself and stayed that way.

In Europe, the level of opposition has gradually increased so you'd expect the defence to perform less well.

In the league there isn't a clear goals conceded trend. The only time we've conceded more than one was the second game of the season against Motherwell who are one of the weaker teams in the league.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

In Europe, the level of opposition has gradually increased so you'd expect the defence to perform less well.

Not necessarily.

They might lose more goals to better quality but no reason not to defend well.

Having two midfielders in front of you who are on the top of their game makes life a dam sight easier and if they get injured/lose form then there is an impact.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

In the league there isn't a clear goals conceded trend. The only time we've conceded more than one was the second game of the season against Motherwell who are one of the weaker teams in the league.

We bossed the game at Aberdeen because the mgmt. team reacted well to adversity (early red card) and our midfield stood up to the plate, late goals happen ! Given how our midfield have been playing recently, we wouldn't be able to repeat it.

We lost three to Motherwell because our defence weren't comfortable playing three at the back and we weren't at the races in the second half. Late goal had been coming. Plus side that day was that offensive spell in the first half, dynamite but we went into HT thinking game was won.

Both games came on the back of European matches. 

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

Not necessarily.

They might lose more goals to better quality but no reason not to defend well.

Well it's like a stress test. The only way to test the strength of a thing is to gradually increase the stress tests. In other words, there is no way to know how strong the defence is and how well drilled it is until is fails against higher quality opposition.

I think our defence looked strong and well coached initially and was found out as the opposition got stronger. However you could take encouragement from the fact that - except the Motherwell experiment - we've only conceded more than once this season away to Villarreal and Spartak. And in both games our set up was attacking and we also scored goals freely.

Edited by DMAA

I never saw it as my kids took the wife and I out eating but I couldn't believe Jack was not playing. I have got one of these apps that rings if a goal is scored and couldn't believe how often it was ringing. unfortunately I said to the wife at half-time "knowing Rangers we will probably get beat 4-3"I wish I never said it now.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I never saw it as my kids took the wife and I out eating but I couldn't believe Jack was not playing. I have got one of these apps that rings if a goal is scored and couldn't believe how often it was ringing. unfortunately I said to the wife at half-time "knowing Rangers we will probably get beat 4-3"I wish I never said it now.

So its your fault pete.

A swift boot in the haw maws is yours when we eventually meet up :D

Middleton has all the attributes of Peter Lovenkrands. I’d say after Lafferty he is the most natural finisher at the club. Lovenkrands was at his best through the middle or even centre forward, not on the left wing, and I’d say that is where Middleton should be playing too.