[FT] Spartak 4 - 3 Rangers (Eremenko o.g. 5; Candeias 27; Middleton 42)

On 09/11/2018 at 10:37, DMAA said:

I don't think Coulibaly justified his inclusion over Jack. Jack gives us a defensive steel and positional discipline in that anchor role and is also our most reliable centre midfielder in possession.

True enough. I guess SG picked him as he is more attack-minded than Jack and runs into spaces in games such as this. We essentially had both Arfield and Coulibally doing that, and IMHO Jack should have taken the slot of either of them, if not from the start then in the 2nd half.

12 hours ago, 917 said:

Middleton has all the attributes of Peter Lovenkrands. I’d say after Lafferty he is the most natural finisher at the club. Lovenkrands was at his best through the middle or even centre forward, not on the left wing, and I’d say that is where Middleton should be playing too.

Honestly, Lövenkrands had the ability to produce some stunning strikes, but there were also times where you prayed that it was not him receiving the ball in the area, as he wouldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards out.

Middleton looks to me like a fine left-winger or inside left, his left foot is a treat and he knows how to glide past people and send dangerous crosses in - even with people about him. Same with his corners, who all caused havoc. He offers so much danger that it looks a crime not to utilize him properly. The threesome of him, Candeias and Morelos looked the part, you would hope that we find an able "10" or second striker to complement them and be there in the middle.

Obviously, such an open game suits them and they may look "dire" when they are up against the entrenchment-brigade of the SPFL. That's the big challenge we face.

12 hours ago, 917 said:

Middleton has all the attributes of Peter Lovenkrands. I’d say after Lafferty he is the most natural finisher at the club. Lovenkrands was at his best through the middle or even centre forward, not on the left wing, and I’d say that is where Middleton should be playing too.

Middleton has shown some composure when finishing but I don't think he's ready to take on the centre-forward role and the pressures that come with it, just yet. Perhaps, for the odd game, 20 minutes here & there and the manager may be forced into such a change come December.

Certainly too early to say he could play centre forward imo. If he did it would probably have to be alongside a target man.  But the early signs have definitely been that he’s a reliable finisher. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Certainly too early to say he could play centre forward imo. If he did it would probably have to be alongside a target man.  But the early signs have definitely been that he’s a reliable finisher. 

If Morelos can't play due to injury or suspension I'd consider Umar Sadiq. I thought he did reasonably well in the semi-final and if he were to score it would give him the confidence he needs. Play Middleton beside him to feed off his knockdowns.

3 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

What planet were you on I had a great seat at the semi and saw nothing that I could credit him with.

He won quite a few challenges and worked hard, a better option perhaps than Lafferty? Give the guy a chance.

Never challenged the keeper,ambled about,looked slow and sluggish and was off-side so often he was like an amateur learning the game.

I suppose maybe it being his first "high profile" game it came as a shock to him but he has a hell of a lot to prove.

A wee PS on this game.

Since Thursday, quite a few Spanish mates of mine have raised the subject of Rangers in Europe again. Moreso than when we played Villareal, funnily enough. Sometimes you think unless it's Barcelona, Real Madrid or very local, it might as well be against a Polish team as far as they care.

I guess it's the impact of a 4-3 scoreline but for me it's a real sign that neutrals in far off lands are taking note of our presence once again.

14 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

What planet were you on I had a great seat at the semi and saw nothing that I could credit him with.

A bit over the top. While it might sure be his problems that kept him out for some time, we were essentially asking him to play the lone role up front without having weeks of constant competitive football. Nono, he chased everything, won many balls up the park and laid them on. He was not outstanding, but far from brutal or sub-standard.

With him, much like with Grezda and Middleton, we shot ourselves in the foot by not handing them far longer substitute time ... even in games where those out there were sub-standard, namely Livingston, Accies and Killie.