Embarrassment for Steven Gerrard tonight

13 hours ago, 917 said:

Before the game on BT Sports he told Emma Dodds that he picked Katic ahead of the usually dependable Worrall because Spartak were a threat at set pieces & he could defend them better. 4 goals conceded from crosses into the box suggests otherwise & there could have been more. Ejaria & Flanagan were mortifying yet again as well & you have to wonder if Juergen Klopp is picking the Rangers team now. As bad as Spartak were in the 1st half, we never really turned up in either half & have just blown a never to be repeated chance to qualify, against by far the worst team in the group!! There is a serious problem with this team holding on to leads. Basically get rid of the lot of them apart from McGregor & Morelos!!

Thanks for that.  That was a most comical post and really cheered up my morning.

You won't find many serious observers who think Rangers will be ready to win titles under Gerrard in less than two seasons, at least not without a sensational collapse over at Torbett Towers. The objective this season is to finish the league campaign with a coherent platform for progress, something we've not done since Walter left. Only then will we be able to move on. 

Anyone can muster outlandish criticism if their expectations are equally misplaced. Gerrard has a long and difficult job on his hands, let's allow him to do it.

Edited by Bill

Aside from anything, if you look at all 4 goals Katic can barely be blamed for any of them - the OP's assertion was that Gerrard should be embarrassed for saying Katic is better at defending set pieces.  I could see the point to the OP if Katic were at fault for the 4 goals - but if you look at them in the broad light of day I don't think Katic is at fault for ANY of them.  And when you add in the fact that the OP was wrong in saying that we "lost 4 goals from crosses" it really makes you wonder what game he was watching.

BTW, watching Katic's interview post game in the reactions thread - he is absolutely gutted at the loss.

From what I saw Katic actually did fairly well.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

the OP's assertion was that Gerrard should be embarrassed for saying Katic is better at defending set pieces

Gerrard's statement was a statement of fact too. I saw statistics the other day showing the one area Katic way outperforms Worrall is in the air. Worrall's stats were better in most other areas. This is the impression I had too, I thought Katic was a collossus at the back vs UFA at Ibrox.

Edited by DMAA

50 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Of our four defenders, I thought Katic was probably the best last night.  Not that that's saying much.

I agree with this but also think Katic looked a bit nervy and lacking in confidence.

Again I was working and didn't see it and while i'm disappointed at the loss we weren't given an embarrassing trouncing away from home. I never expected the bonus of group stage football anyway so the fact we're still in the knockout rounds mix with two games remaining is good enough for me at this point in the rebuild.