Jamie Maclaren reveals Rangers fans threw coins at him

I recall being at Pittodrie years ago and a few coins (flung by the sheep) landed nearby.

I hadn't a time machine in those days, so I refrained from falling over, clutching my face and claiming I had been the victim of a sectarian attack.  

What was it Ron Wood sang, "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger...".

1 hour ago, les186 said:

At Tynecastle a good many years ago I was caught short and a guy behind me handed me a can. Gratefully I took it and started to relieve myself. The guy in front of me started to protest - the can had been opened at both ends. I must have narrowly avoided a good kicking!

Ah the old triangle opener.:)

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I recall being at Pittodrie years ago and a few coins (flung by the sheep) landed nearby.

I hadn't a time machine in those days, so I refrained from falling over, clutching my face and claiming I had been the victim of a sectarian attack.  

What was it Ron Wood sang, "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger...".

Ronnie Lane penned the lyric, Ron Wood provided most of the music. 

I was at a game when we were building the cover at the Copeland end and some eejits climbed up on the steel near half time the police moved in to huckle them and the fans started throwing things we were near the front so old silly turns round and got hit on the forehead with an unopened can of McCewans export while I got took under the stand for treatment the brother drank the blinking can of beer ,.

I am disappointed that throwing things is still going on at games these days.  Surely this is easy to identify the culprits and ban them for life?  If someone near me was throwing something, I wouldn't hesitate to seek out the police and point them towards the morons doing it.  I'd imagine most people would, so why are these people not being caught?  I don't remember seeing anyone charged with this and if it's as common as some are suggesting, what's going wrong?

I haven't witnessed this for a very long time (since a Hibs fan threw a banana at Basil Boli), so I assumed we had managed to weed these idiots out.  I wonder why it's become a thing again.

As an aside, how is a lifetime ban enforced? Seriously, how would all the turnstile operators know if someone was banned? Okay, maybe that person could be banned from buying a season ticket through name and address recognition, but there's no way they could be stopped from buying tickets on an adhoc basis. 

Many, many moons ago I'd a close friend who started running with some boys who made a habit of getting into bother at the football. He was lifted along with a few others at an away match and Rangers released a statement saying all involved would be banned. That ban was never enforced. How could it be, short of giving every ticket seller and turnstile operator a photo of him how could it be policed? 

My mate, thankfully, grew out of his teenage rage, and became a fairly normal member of society and a season ticket holder for many years. 

In the end if you do something stupid like that at a game you run a high risk of being arrested and charged. But fuelled by drink and caught up in the heat of the moment I'm not sure that's what's at the front of your mind at the time. I'm also not sure how easy it is to identify someone from CCTV. If the person sits in the same seat every week then it's easier, but at an away match or a big game where people might not be sitting in their usual seat it's nigh on impossible i'd have thought.  

Currency has sometimes had a part to play in eventual conflict but this is certainly another slant on the weaponizing of money.

An indirect weaponizing campaign being channeled on the back of a more direct and simple method.

#Politics

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

As an aside, how is a lifetime ban enforced? Seriously, how would all the turnstile operators know if someone was banned? Okay, maybe that person could be banned from buying a season ticket through name and address recognition, but there's no way they could be stopped from buying tickets on an adhoc basis. 

Many, many moons ago I'd a close friend who started running with some boys who made a habit of getting into bother at the football. He was lifted along with a few others at an away match and Rangers released a statement saying all involved would be banned. That ban was never enforced. How could it be, short of giving every ticket seller and turnstile operator a photo of him how could it be policed? 

My mate, thankfully, grew out of his teenage rage, and became a fairly normal member of society and a season ticket holder for many years. 

In the end if you do something stupid like that at a game you run a high risk of being arrested and charged. But fuelled by drink and caught up in the heat of the moment I'm not sure that's what's at the front of your mind at the time. I'm also not sure how easy it is to identify someone from CCTV. If the person sits in the same seat every week then it's easier, but at an away match or a big game where people might not be sitting in their usual seat it's nigh on impossible i'd have thought.  

Quite simple.  If someone is given a lifetime ban, it could be part of a suspended sentence.  Then, if they're found at a game at any stage they go straight to prison.  Either that or bring back the death penalty.

Anyone that has a habit of getting into bother at football (or anywhere else) is NOT a fairly normal member of society, and does not deserve to have a season ticket.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

Quite simple.  If someone is given a lifetime ban, it could be part of a suspended sentence.  Then, if they're found at a game at any stage they go straight to prison.  Either that or bring back the death penalty.

Anyone that has a habit of getting into bother at football (or anywhere else) is NOT a fairly normal member of society, and does not deserve to have a season ticket.

I'm with you on the death penalty Gaffer, but only for people who don't clean up after their dogs. 

As for your second point I know what you're saying, however, I don't entirely agree. As a teenager 'trouble' at football matches was something of a right of passage. I'm not advocating it as a lifestyle choice now, or excusing it then, but I knew quite a few 16 year olds who enjoyed a bit of agro on a Saturday afternoon, indeed it was all part of the football experience for them. Most of them grew out of it. They got jobs or married or the testosterone coursing through them found other outlets. Granted I'm going back to the 1980s, but I think people can make mistakes or misjudgements at that age and still mature into 'normal' adults.

I often give thanks that social media didn't exist when I was a teenager, so all my many mistakes and misadventures are unrecorded and long forgotten, rather than being published for the world to see in perpetuity.