SFA confirm the reason Daniel Candeias received his second yellow card

Rangers are considering their options after the Daniel Candeias red card saga took another twist.

It’s understood the Ibrox club are unimpressed by ref Willie Collum’s explanation of his decision to send off Gers winger Candeias against St Mirren.

The SFA yesterday took the unusual step of detailing Collum’s reasons for issuing Candeias’ second booking.

They revealed he was dismissed for goading Anton Ferdinand by blowing kisses at him while celebrating Alfredo Morelos’ injury-time clincher in the 2-0 win.

Rangers were fuming at the Portuguese ace’s red card following the spat with Ferdinand that saw Candeias grabbed in a headlock and hit on the chin by the defender.

Gers boss Steven Gerrard was adamant his player had done nothing wrong and branded the dismissal “embarrassing”.

The club launched an appeal on the grounds of mistaken identity but that was booted out – and the SFA have now outlined the reasons why Collum’s decision stood.

The SFA said the ref confirmed he issued a yellow card because “he believed Candeias had made “gestures towards” Ferdinand after the goal.

And that he became “further involved with the opponent as he made his way upfield after celebrating the goal”.

After reviewing footage and considering Rangers’ written submission and the winger’s statement, the tribunal found the ref “correctly identified” the player involved.

They added: “Therefore the determination of the tribunal was that the claim be dismissed and that the caution and dismissal, and mandatory sanction, be reimposed.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-considering-options-over-daniel-13591954

I’m not quite sure of the sequence of the events but was there not a short time lapse between the alleged gesturing and the assault by Ferdinand? If Collum was offended by the gesturing why did he not card Candeias immediately? If he had done so Ferdinand would not have perpetrated the assault and would not have been booked himself. 

Ferdinand and St Mirren have been let down badly by Collum. Something should be done.

9 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I’m not quite sure of the sequence of the events but was there not a short time lapse between the alleged gesturing and the assault by Ferdinand? If Collum was offended by the gesturing why did he not card Candeias immediately? If he had done so

It's smoke and mirrors. Was Scott Brown booked for goading Diouf? Is it even in the rules that it's a bookable offence?

I think he just messed up when he booked both players after assuming Candeias must have been partly to blame.

I hope the club come up with a way to pursue this.  It is so clearly wrong and the SFA's response is typically mismanaged.  They are a total embarrassment.   I am sure I remember a ref apologising to CFC for getting it wrong and the punishment was rescinded.   That is all that was required here but they chose to back the ref.  The game at the very top level has been poisonous for years.

3 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I hope the club come up with a way to pursue this.  It is so clearly wrong and the SFA's response is typically mismanaged.  They are a total embarrassment.   I am sure I remember a ref apologising to CFC for getting it wrong and the punishment was rescinded.   That is all that was required here but they chose to back the ref.  The game at the very top level has been poisonous for years.

While I agree with that the biggest problem is that nobody actually cares other than Rangers and Rangers fans 

Rangers can do this alone though.  There's plenty of video evidence to prove that the ref couldn't have seen Candeias make any gesture.  In that case, he was either advised by the linesman, or he just made it up to disguise a terrible mistake.  I didn't see any communication with the linesman so it can only be the latter.  Either way, Rangers don't need support from anyone else to get justice here.  All they need is the desire and guts to take it further.  Something tells me we are in the mood for getting some justice.  Watch this space.