[FT] Rangers 3 - 0 Livingston (Candeias 20', Morelos 83', Arfield 88')

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

Morelos changed the game today when he came on as a sub

Scored one & set up another. Not bad for 30 minutes work 

Arguably Laff did the donkey work for him but I didnt think he had a great game - Lfferty I mean. Morelos did make a massive impact.

Morelos looked a class above everyone else on the pitch when he came on.  If he can maintain that sort of standard, I can see a lot of clubs showning an interest.

We were poor today, lacking intensity and creativity.  I wasn't happy when we re-signed Lafferty and he has done little to prove me wrong.

We need a dominant central midfielder and an attacking midfielder.

Glad to get the win today.  A big week ahead...

Morelos is a diamond.   Without him we look very ordinary.  Delighted with the win today but we are very much a work in progress.  I haven't been Flanagan's greatest fan to date but thought he did well when he came on today, Halliday was all over the place.  The midfield is lacking a playmaker but we all know that.  

People will probably disagree, but at times you look at Halkett, Kelly and even Gallagher and wonder whether we could do well with them as back-up players for games such as these - physical but still a cut above the rest, i.e. Killie, Motherwell and Accies. They know their job, are well drilled and won't get messed about. You sure wouldn't want a team of that, but given the amount of injuries we get each season ...

Not players you would throw in against the Scum (even though they held up well against them too), Villareal or Rapid, but against the threesome above, Hibs and Co.. We may look for far better quality (which will sure cost money or are ageing) and then hope that they hit the field instantly ... yet, how often have we seen such players take their time to adopt to the Scottish game. Looking at the local market wouldn't go amiss ... and I would assume SG will have cast an eye on "local talent" too by now. But we shall see.

Edited by der Berliner

We got exactly the type of game we thought we would. It was never going to be attractive pretty football, although I thought we should have been trying to move the ball quicker and we can certainly move better off the ball than we did. The midfield 3 of Ejaria Jack & Arfield did little to nothing to help us bring the ball out from the back, they stood beside their markers and for the most part gave no options to Goldson & McAulay to help start an attack. I thought this was the main reason we looked slow and didnt play with enough pace.

The few times we got that right and one of them did their job properly and made space either for themselves or for another, it just about always led to a chance at goal, and applause from the crowd.

It's funny how we all look at the game differently. Having read the thread here and read of how Candieas was MOTM, Jack was superb, Halliday was both brilliant and rubbish, Flanagan was good, Ejaria was rubbish and I am thinking I disagree completely with all of that. I thought Halliday had a decent game (not brilliant or rubbish, just solid) Ejaria had a great first half but faded second half, Jack was mostly anonymous, Candieas scored a good goal, was good defensively but rubbish in his real job of providing chances and crosses, Lafferty worked really hard but never looked liked a scoring threat, our 2 CH's dealt with their physical and aerial onslaught fantastically well. MOTM for me would be either Goldson or McAulay, who between them ensured we got a clean sheet and while the game was only 1-0 for a long time, that was the main reason we came out as winners.

We will of course be set a much more different and difficult task on Thursday, and I am sure SG will bring in Barisic, Grezda, Morelos and perhaps another sitting midfielder (Rossiter or Hallidayprobably) and out will go Halliday (from LB anyway), Middleton, Lafferty & Ejaria. I would prefer to play Middleton to Candieas for the attacking option but DC's defensive work will be required on that side.

I am no longer concerned with the other results in the league bar the bheasts, there is going to be no race for second this year, only for the title and I hope we can get enough points in December to keep in touch going into the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I am no longer concerned with the other results in the league bar the bheasts, there is going to be no race for second this year, only for the title

Certainly appears to be shaping up like that with just a third of the season gone. Top two tied on goal difference with a GD of 24 while the side in third lags far behind that GD on just 4. That's a revealing statistic.

Gerrard quote on Morelos.

Steven Gerrard has warned he’s prepared to fall out with his Ibrox paymasters if they consider selling on-fire hitman Alfredo Morelos.

Gerrard is adamant 16-goal Morelos is going nowhere so long as he has a say in the matter. Gerrard said: “I’ll fight tooth and nail to keep Fred here for as long as possible. I’ll fall out with people to keep him – that’s how much I like him. From day one I’ve told everyone I love him. That hasn’t changed, it’s growing.”