Rangers duo Alan Hutton and Charlie Adam have been called up for Scotland's friendly against Austria and the Euro 2008 qualifier against Faroe Islands.

Derby left-back Jay McEveley also wins his first place in the senior set-up.

Injuries have ruled out Nigel Quashie and Graeme Murty, while Christian Dailly, Jackie McNamara, Scott Severin and Neil Alexander are left out.

Scotland play in Vienna on Wednesday 30 May and they travel on to the Faroe Islands for the 6 June tie in Toftir.

Scotland sit alongside France and Ukraine on 12 points at the top of Group B in qualifying for next year's finals, but have played one more match.

Hutton, Adam and McEveley have all been regulars at Under-21 level and now have the chance to impress national manager Alex McLeish.

"We have got to look towards the future," said McLeish. "We have got to give these guys opportunities, we cannot play safe all the time."

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to McLeish's second Scotland squad

Adam, who spent last season on loan in the First Division with St Mirren, has had an impressive campaign in the Rangers midfield - scoring 13 goals so far.

"Charlie has surprised me this season," added former Ibrox boss McLeish.

"I spoke to him last season before I left Rangers saying it might be tough at Ibrox and saying he had to prepared for a battle - that Paul Le Guen might bring in more midfielders."

"But he has had a great season, very dedicated, scoring goals in Europe and pretty deadly at set-pieces.

"Alan has showed a lot more maturity. He is still a young lad and it's up to young players like that to grab the opportunity."

McEveley has helped Derby reach the promotion play-offs after his January switch from Blackburn.

McLeish said: "He is a big imposing figure with great presence and he has had a great half season at Derby.

"And we do lack cover in the left-back situation. "We know Graham Alexander has played there when Gary Naysmith has not been available, but we felt Jay had played at a high standard."

Scotland squad:

Gordon (Hearts), McGregor (Rangers), Turner (Everton); Alexander (Preston), Anderson (Aberdeen), Caldwell (Celtic), Hutton (Rangers), McEveley (Derby), McManus (Celtic), Naysmith (Everton), Pressley (Celtic), Weir (Rangers); Adam (Rangers), Brown (Hibernian), Ferguson (Rangers), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Celtic), McCulloch (Wigan), Teale (Derby); Beattie (Celtic), Boyd (Rangers), McFadden (Everton), Maloney (Aston Villa), Miller (Celtic).

About time these two players got called up

Hutton is playing out of his skin this now and whenever Charlie gets a free kick you are confident it is landing in the back of the net.

Hutton should start both games although probably wont due to a lack of experience. Its catch 22, but the in form player should play and that is Hutton.

Well done Charlie too. I doubt he will play but would be good for him to get some time. The friendly should be used to try these untested guys out.

Edit: Didn't notice this til it was pointed out to me as I was concentrating on Gers players, but Beattie is in the squad!:eek:

What about Naismith? In what way has his club form been good enough to deserve a call up?

What about this for a Scotland line-up next season

McGregor

Hutton - Weir - Webster - Smith

Brown Thompson - Ferguson - Adam

Boyd - Naismith

Assuming we get Brown and Naismith

I would hate to leave out Fletcher and McFadden though...

I think McCulloch is ahead of Adam but we may sign him too.

We could also have Murray, Burke and Gow on the bench.

Celtic could have:

Brown

Telfer/Wilson Caldwell Pressley McManus Kennedy

Ferry Hartley Riordan

Miller Beattie