10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I received a letter today, saying I'm due them just over £1k in relation to overpaid tax credits (I'm on PAYE).

Anyone else get one?  

Pay up, Gonzo. Think of all the hospitals and schools.

How do I make one of those blog things?

The tax credits all go into the wife's account, so I haven't seen a penny of them.

No doubt I will have to pay up.  Although, at the moment, I'm thinking more about all the benefit scroungers than hospitals and schools.  

I've always taken the view that you should strain every sinew to avoid paying tax but where it's not legally avoidable you just have to grin and bear it. Of course, by far the most painful tax is the tax you think you've paid but later find out in the form of an unexpected tax demand that you haven't. Almost as bad is the additional tax you have to pay because those rampant lunatics in the SNP decide to tax you more than your countrymen in England and Wales for the sole purpose of being different.

Maybe I should identify as living in England, to get a lower rate.  I mean, obviously there is verifiable evidence that I live and work in Scotland but that's not how I identify just now.  

?