Brexit Shame

46 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

What should a competent Prime Minister have done instead?

Planned for a no deal Brexit from day one. That doesn’t exclude negotiating but go on the basis the other side will be obstructive.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

What should a competent Prime Minister have done instead?

What Scott7 says. Plus not rushed into negotiations before having agreement with her cabinet at least. Not touring the country spending an hour here and there talking to small groups of people when every pundit, every other party leader and 100’s in her own party told her the deal was not acceptable. Telling us no deal was better than bad deal, then coming back with a bad deal.

35 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

What Scott7 says. Plus not rushed into negotiations before having agreement with her cabinet at least. Not touring the country spending an hour here and there talking to small groups of people when every pundit, every other party leader and 100’s in her own party told her the deal was not acceptable. Telling us no deal was better than bad deal, then coming back with a bad deal.

It's been clear since the 2017 election that it was too dangerous, politically, to make proper preparations for no deal.

The point about negotiating without cabinet agreement is correct.  The Prime Minister could have waited to trigger article 50 while agreeing on a negotiating strategy.  Instead she triggered it to prevent certain criticism from Leavers.

To say that she toured the country speaking to small groups of people is incorrect.  She did appear on popular radio and television shows with large audiences.

10 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Planned for a no deal Brexit from day one. That doesn’t exclude negotiating but go on the basis the other side will be obstructive.

I said this on the day the referendum was done that a second ref would come along to stop it. The powers that be didnt expect the result and there never any plan for it. Its been so predictable yet the way they have spun it like Tory's turning against May and resigning themselves is a self pity thing to sway public opinion.

What hasnt been made public is the amount of legislation that has went through while all this has been happening. Daily Bills are being passed which are similar to European Law so in the event there is still an exit UK law would Mirror EU law.

It should never have gone to a referendum. We pay politicians for political stuff that’s why we vote for them? The irony of folk saying “we didn’t know whatever we’re voting for”? Really? Nooooooo???? That’s because your not versed in politics and should never have had a vote.

This is uncharted water. The EU will give us more time and parliament now has the authority to unilaterally revoke article 50 and do their job. No sending back to the people just let Westminster get us out of this mess that the people put us in!

5 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

The irony of folk saying “we didn’t know whatever we’re voting for”? Really? Nooooooo????

I knew EXACTLY what I voted for.  To leave the EU.

If you want to stick Diane Abbott, Boris Johnson and Mhairi Black on a political pedestal ("They know better than me."), that's entirely up to you.  I wouldn't recommend it though.

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

None of us knew what we were voting for anyway.

I heard two blokes discussing Brexit at my work today.  Apparently all Leave voters were conned and lied to.

If the actual detail doesn't matter of how things actually effect individuals then that wasn't important.

If you had a referendum on this every 5 years then some may argue that liars may get their just desserts in time.

-----------------

Instead of polarised positions and individual ambitions, some rational common sense might be a useful tool for the countries politicans.