Brexit Shame

1 minute ago, forlanssister said:

There won't be a stop on exports that's remainiac scaremongering bullshit.

I imagine Proctor & Gamble will just be eyeing up a price gouging opportunity.

It is the time lorries will sit at the border that will hike costs. Now EU lorries can mostly drive through but lorries ouside the EU take up to 2 hours to sort out the paperwork. That is from the British customs.

As with most debates of this kind, both sides are have a tendency to over-exaggerate.  

However, we are simply not ready for a no-deal outcome, no matter what anyone tries to tell you. 

How much of an impact that will have is unpredictable, but the bottom line is you can expect significant delays and increased costs, not only including trade tariffs but the additional bureaucracy needed to review all of the imports that currently pass through our ports... 

HMRC doesn't have the systems in place to even remotely cope with the amount of additional work that would be required.  The delays at key ports would be significant, and other ports just are not equipped.  It was only a just before christmas that I believe the government began inspecting other ports around the UK to assess their capability to handle diverted imports...  and I was told that the ports at the likes of Grangemouth just wouldn't be able to support anything as they have 2 part time customs officers at that time.

This is of course the fault of a completely inept government who have steadfastly ignored warnings and tried to plough on with negotiating positions that could not be reconciled with the reality of the situation.   Quite how Labour and Corbyn are going to be able to negotiate something different is equally implausible.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Quite how Labour and Corbyn are going to be able to negotiate something different is equally implausible.

That is the big stumbling block.  The majority of MPs don't want Brexit, so only the softest imaginable deal has any chance of getting through Parliament.  And if that did happen, over 17m voters would be rather annoyed that the most democratic vote in British history has been disregarded by our elected representatives. 

14 hours ago, pete said:

Yes okay. I also won't debate with someone who offers totally nothing to the debate except a dig at the SNP.

I'm confused, did you mean to send that to me? I don't remember offering to debate anything with you and I'm sorry if you did.