Celtic fans ‘sad’ for flying Palestinian flag at football matches

FLAG FURY

Israeli minister brands Celtic fans ‘sad’ for flying Palestinian flag at football matches – as he claims SNP has ‘harshest’ stance on his country

The deputy minister in the Israeli Prime Minister's office slammed the Scots government for their position on Israel. And he reckons Hoops fans who raise cash for Palestinian charities are 'ill-advised'.

A TOP Israeli politician has labelled Celtic fans “sad” for flying the Palestinian flag at footie matches – as he criticised Scotland for their “harsh” position on his country.

Michael Oren, deputy minister in the Israeli Prime Minister’s office, slammed the SNP-led government, claiming their position on Israel is the “harshest in Europe”.

Oren, 63, also turned his attention to Hoops fans and insisted their flying of Palestine banners and flags is “sad”, and that their decision to raise cash for Palestinian charities is “ill-advised”.

Speaking to the Herald he said: “I think it’s ill-advised. It’s sad. Let’s leave it at sad.”

On the Scots government’s “misreading” of international law regarding Israel’s attacks on Gaza, Oren said: “I understand the Scottish Government has taken a position on us which is probably the harshest of any political party in Europe.

“They vie with some of the Swedish parties and the Irish parties.”

Humza Yousaf – previously Minister for External Affairs – condemned Israel’s response to Gaza rocket attacks in 2014.

But Oren snapped back over the “disproportionality” of Yousaf’s comments.

He added: “But let me say about [Yousaf’s comments on] disproportionality.

“First of all, it is a gross misreading of international law. I studied international law.

“Disproportionality says very simply that an army can only use the force necessary to meet the threat.

“If we use a certain amount of force and rockets continue to fall on our territory then the force cannot be disproportionate, just cannot by definition.

“So, it’s a gross misreading and I would say a gratuitous misreading of disproportionality principles. We are in fact, if anything, under proportion in our use of force.

“Many other societies, most other societies, would use a reckless amount of force to stop rockets falling on civilians.

“We have not done that. We have the power, boy we have the power. We could end it very quickly.”

We told recently how Hampden Park banned the use of flags that were NOT Saltires or Israeli flags during Scotland’s Nations League clash with Israel.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3538080/celtic-israel-palestine-flags-michael-oren-snp-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1543164843