Speaking a Foreign Language

Just now, Scott7 said:

Never heard anything like it in all my life.

Fit wye wis thon loon spikken sae nae man cuid ken fit he wis oan aboot?

If there wasn't subtitles I wouldn't have a clue what he was saying!?

27 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Many years ago I was in Burghhead Bowling Club, not far from Elgin. Guy started to talk to me, only time in Scotland I had no idea what was being said to me. Doric?

Doric indeed but a Brocher’s version of it.

Apart from your language problem you were no doubt made welcome. Staunch wee town, Burghead.

Burghead people speak no differently that people from Lossie or Elgin. But in between Lossiemouth and Burghead is perhaps the strangest dialect I've ever heard in Scotland ... in Hopeman ... it's unique and no one has ever explained to me why that should be.

As for the OP, why is it, with a wonderfully unique language like Gaelic, that nationalistic Scots are so keen to pretend that corrupted English is somehow characteristic of Scotland? I understand how desperate they are to see themselves as different, so why don't they just learn and speak Gaelic? Apart from the fact that would take commitment, hard work and something more substantial than casual bullshit nationalism.

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

Burghead people speak no differently that people from Lossie or Elgin. But in between Lossiemouth and Burghead is perhaps the strangest dialect I've ever heard in Scotland ... in Hopeman ... it's unique and no one has ever explained to me why that should be.

You are right about Hopeman, Bill.

My old mother could speak it, though she wasn’t a Houpmin quine herself. The fishermen reversed the sequence of the syllables of words so that no one from Lossie or the Broch overhearing them would know what they were planning for their next trip.

Just thinking about it causes multiple explosions in my head.

But to get back to the OP. Let’s face it. The guy was super cool and old fogeys like me are just envious of his smart, cosmopolitan talk.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

You are right about Hopeman, Bill.

My old mother could speak it, though she wasn’t a Houpmin quine herself. The fishermen reversed the sequence of the syllables of words so that no one from Lossie or the Broch overhearing them would know what they were planning for their next trip.

Just thinking about it causes multiple explosions in my head.

But to get back to the OP. Let’s face it. The guy was super cool and old fogeys like me are just envious of his smart, cosmopolitan talk.

Interesting take on the strangely secretive world of fishermen. What gets me about Hopeman is their ability to articulate words from somewhere between the shoulder blades. I've known a few old timers from there who I really struggled to understand.

I don't bother much about newspeak these days. Is cosmopolitan the same as wanker? 

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Interesting take on the strangely secretive world of fishermen. What gets me about Hopeman is their ability to articulate words from somewhere between the shoulder blades. I've known a few old timers from there who I really struggled to understand.

Never occurred to me before but that is 100% accurate.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't bother much about newspeak these days. Is cosmopolitan the same as wanker? 

Right again, Bill.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Doric indeed but a Brocher’s version of it.

Apart from your language problem you were no doubt made welcome. Staunch wee town, Burghead.

Now that I think about it may have been Hopeman Bowling Club. What I can remember coming from Nairn drive through Burghead and club is on the right.±