While watching the game last night I was reminded about how good Glenn Middleton is.

It's not just that he is good.  It is that he is good at so many things.

In addition to being fast his crossing is excellent.  When he gets into a goal scoring position he is a cool and reliable finisher.  Twice now, against Villarreal alone, he has demonstrated he can use one-touch passing to open up an opposition defence.

You wouldn't describe him as a one trick pony ... ;)

Edited by ranger_syntax

He's a great prospect.  I think he's prone to clumsy moments but he has plenty of time to iron that out, particularly as he seems to have a great attitude.

His pace, crossing and work rate are all very good.

33 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Good prospect but there’s been loads of good prospects down the years who just didn’t fulfill their potential for one reason or another.  

There have been a lot of good prospects over the years who haven't made it, not because they lacked ability but because they were coached and managed by dinosaurs to whom youth development was a profound mystery. Hopefully we're now in new territory where the likes of Middleton will be developed for the benefit of Rangers and not some other club.

I’m a huge fan but last night wasn’t his best night, he struggled to settle and it just wasn’t happening for him. But even with that being the case his corners were clear goal scoring opportunities because they were so good and he definitely created two or three other opportunities. 

Edited by DMAA

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

There have been a lot of good prospects over the years who haven't made it, not because they lacked ability but because they were coached and managed by dinosaurs to whom youth development was a profound mystery. Hopefully we're now in new territory where the likes of Middleton will be developed for the benefit of Rangers and not some other club.

Rubbish.  It’s extremely difficult for a young player to break through at a club who have to win every game.  Some didn’t make it because of injuries, some because of off field issues, some because the pressure was too great.  Boiling it all down to bad coaching is as reductive as it is offensive.

I’d ask you who the dinosaurs were but I’ve had too many conversations with punters who think they know better than managers and coaches who’ve spent a lifetime in the game to bother.  

To be fair, there are many factors involved in young players not making it at a club like ours...bad coaching will undoubtedly have contributed in certain instances.  

Some players just don't get on with certain coaches.  And vice versa.  It can hard to find a happy medium between booting someone's arse and putting an arm around him - that's just human nature, rather than anything to do with being regressive.

Edited by Gonzo79