[FT] Hearts 1 - 2 Rangers (Goldson 34; Morelos 41)

"I was delighted with our support. And I felt that, on another day, that's a game we could have won

And on yet another day if Morelos had his shooting boots on could have been thrashed. And i'm guessing Levein is going to charged for suggesting a referee is playing for the opposition.

There is no way Levein knew the Morelos goal was offside without the benefit of a freeze frame replay. It was offside but it's not an easy thing to see without technology.

We had 17 shots at goal, his lot had 5 and despite his fantasies we did that with just 11 men on the pitch and it didn't change anything when we went down to 10.  We were still generally dominating.

Sort of puzzled as to which other day they might have won that rather than escaping with a narrow 2-1 defeat which could have been many more 'on another day'

Maybe he means another day when we get 2 or 3 sent off.

Ten-man Rangers moved top of the Premiership for the first time under Steven Gerrard after a fiery comeback victory over Hearts at Tynecastle.

Following Scott Arfield's red card for a rash challenge on goalkeeper Zdenek Zlamal, the visitors held on for the final 20 minutes to move a point clear.

Hearts were rewarded for a strong start by a Gareth McAuley own goal but Connor Goldson quickly levelled.

Alfredo Morelos then added the decisive touch from an offside position.

The striker's goal, equalling the Premiership era record of scoring in seven successive games, was one of many contentious moments in a tempestuous game.

It was a fourth league loss in a row for Hearts, who were top of the table in early November, leaving them in fourth place.

The hosts were much improved from their limp loss at St Mirren and headers from Steven MacLean and Arnaud Djoum forced good early saves from Allan McGregor.

A neat move on 29 minutes culminated with Marcus Godinho delivering a low cross from the right and a sliding McAuley could only divert the ball into his own net.

Rangers responded with a ferocious onslaught, with Djoum diving to nod clear from a Ovie Ejaria header, moments before the leveller arrived.

Zlamal saved well at the feet of Goldson from a corner but the central defender was able to bundle the rebound high into the net.

A James Tavernier free-kick brushed the side-netting and Zlamal blocked bravely from McAuley as Rangers kept up the pressure and what proved to be the winner arrived before the interval.

Morelos, who missed a good chance on the volley before Hearts scored, raced away too early from a free-kick and was clearly offside when he applied a deft touch to Tavernier's terrific delivery. But the goal stood and took the Colombian's tally for the season to 17.

Morelos was involved in a running battle with returning Hearts captain Christophe Berra all afternoon, with both men frequently wrestling off the ball.

The frantic pace continued in the second half, with both sets of players, both dugouts and the fans inside a packed stadium screaming for every decision.

Goalmouth chances dried up though, as Rangers took a hold of midfield and looked menacing on the counter-attack.

Morelos went close, stretching to send Ejaria's cross just wide before Rangers picked up their seventh red card of the season.

Zlamal produced two good stops to deny Daniel Candeias and Morelos, and had the ball in both hands on the goalline as Arfield came clattering in to ram it over the line, smashing into the keeper's head with his knee.

Referee Bobby Madden, who had produced just one yellow card in a stormy contest, immediately sent Arfield packing but Gerrard's depleted side had few problems holding out.

'Rangers hit back quickly and decisively' - Analysis

BBC Scotland's Brian McLauchlin at Tynecastle

Credit must go to Gerrard and his players. They fought back quickly and decisively and deserved their victory. They also had more than a slice of fortune for what proved to be the winner.

Morelos escaped punishment after jumping into Hearts captain Berra and was then one of three Rangers men in an offside position when he flicked the ball into the far corner.

There is no doubting the talents of Morelos but not for the first time his temperament can be called into question. And Gerrard will surely be asking questions of Arfield, who needlessly went in with both feet on Zlamal giving the referee no option but to issue a straight red card.

Rangers now sit proudly at the top of the top flight for the first time in seven years. The task that lies ahead is to stay there and keep Celtic, who have played a game fewer, at bay.

For Hearts this was their sixth match without a win in all competitions but it was a spirited performance and, with the busy December period now under way, may not have to wait too long before they get back to winning ways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46333044

18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

There is no way Levein knew the Morelos goal was offside without the benefit of a freeze frame replay. It was offside but it's not an easy thing to see without technology.

I thought it was clearly offside watching it live on the TV and was surprised that the linesman hadn't flagged.

36 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Hearts 1-2 Rangers: It was like playing 12 men, says Craig Levein

Hearts manager Craig Levein was left furious with referee Bobby Madden after losing 2-1 to Rangers, saying "it was like playing against 12 men".

Levein was upset by Alfredo Morelos' winning goal, which was scored from an offside position.

He also questioned the treatment of the Rangers striker, who was involved in a series of skirmishes with Hearts captain Christophe Berra.

"I've lost my voice from shouting at the referee," Levein told BBC Scotland.

"It was a terrible performance - it really was. How Morelos gets away with what he gets away with, I just don't understand.

"It was like, as [Hibs manager] Neil Lennon said after going to Celtic Park, playing against 12 men.

"How many fouls can Morelos give away without being booked? The one where he jumped into Berra off the ball, the referee said he's just a bit silly sometimes.

"That's what he told one of our players. Now, if you jump into somebody, I don't care if you're silly or not, it's a booking."

Hearts were rewarded for an enterprising start at Tynecastle when Gareth McAuley knocked in an own goal from a Marcus Godinho cross.

But Rangers hit back with Connor Goldson equalising from close range and Morelos delivering the decisive goal from a free kick before half-time.

TV replays showed Morelos and other Rangers players were offside, with Levein left to bemoan the performance of the officials.

"We've lost a few goals at set-pieces, which have been offside, like today's," he explained.

"We asked the question of the referee supervisor why the linesmen keep making mistakes. He said it's easier for them if you hold the line on the 18-yard line.

"We did that today and he still got it wrong. I don't know what [head of referee development] John Fleming's next suggestion will be - maybe masking sure his officials do their jobs properly."

New Premiership leaders Rangers lost Scott Arfield to a second-half red card but held on to consign Hearts to their fourth successive league defeat. Despite losing more ground, Levein was pleased with his side.

"I was delighted with the players, the effort after recent difficult times and everything they did to try and win," he said.

"I was delighted with our support. And I felt that, on another day, that's a game we could have won. Things are difficult for us just now and the last thing we need was to play against 12 men."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46419364

I presume that Millhouse will receive the suitable 2 game ban for his mouthing off at the officials? He has just called them all cheats so they should be all over him!