The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

9 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Eaves ... whether rumour or not, he looks like an English power-house centre forward a la Hateley that might be needed to pummel the Scottish defences in the way required. 

Eaves is no Hateley. Hateley was in a different league literally and he struggled when he first came to Rangers. I agree we can't afford a top class striker but we should be looking elsewhere than the dross in the English lower divisions.

8 minutes ago, les186 said:

Eaves is no Hateley. Hateley was in a different league literally and he struggled when he first came to Rangers. I agree we can't afford a top class striker but we should be looking elsewhere than the dross in the English lower divisions.

We picked up Windass from the English lower divisions... and he made us about 3 million profit.

These players may never give us 55 but if they can serve a purpose and deliver us that kind of profit it allows us to then purchase a better standard of player.

16 minutes ago, craig said:

We picked up Windass from the English lower divisions... and he made us about 3 million profit.

These players may never give us 55 but if they can serve a purpose and deliver us that kind of profit it allows us to then purchase a better standard of player.

Windass was young and had potential. Eaves is as good as he is going to get. That's why I compared him to Garner. We're not happy with Sadiq and he comes from Roma. Lafferty is also getting pelters and he has played at a much higher level than Eaves.

Edited by les186

15 minutes ago, les186 said:

Windass was young and had potential. Eaves is as good as he is going to get. That's why I compared him to Garner. We're not happy with Sadiq and he comes from Roma. Lafferty is also getting pelters and he has played at a much higher level than Eaves.

Neither you, or I, know that to be the case.

He may be 26 but if he were to come here and score for fun then an English Championship team could very well come in and purchase him - anything less than 29-30 has sell-on potential.

And, even if he didn't provide us significant profit - he certainly couldn't be worse than Sadiq - so a straight "one in, one out" would be fine by me.  Indeed, I think you effectively prove the point that it isn't so much where a player comes from but how the team play and/or the league you play in and your suitability to it.  Roma were CL semi-finalists last year so, on paper, Sadiq was a coup..... we now know that to not be the case.

Maybe we should learn to wait until someone has proven their worth, or otherwise, before judging them ?

1 minute ago, MacK1950 said:

Can suggest a few we should:- Sadiq,Worrall,Ejaria,Flanagan for starters.

Ejaria will stay, as will Flanagan.  And Gerrard has been quoted, I believe, as saying he wants Worral to stay.

Sadiq will go, almost certainly.

I don't think any potential Eaves may have can be compared to Hateley in the sense that Hateley played for Rangers at a time when the SPL had a far higher average quality than it does now. Eaves could potentially be as effective as Hateley in the current SPL.

Plus looking at his stats and taking into consideration his age of 26 years he's just come into his physical prime and is scoring far more than he ever has before. As far as I can see he has scored a total of 30 goals in 62 games for Gillingham including 12 in the last 20 games.

When you consider that's in a struggling bottom half of the league team it's not too shabby. If we actually are considering him that means far more experienced eyes than any of us have are looking him over and deciding he could do a job. It might very well be the case that he's just beginning to peak as he moves into his physical prime years.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Ejaria will stay, as will Flanagan.  And Gerrard has been quoted, I believe, as saying he wants Worral to stay.

Sadiq will go, almost certainly.

I agree that is what will happen I wrote these names down due to the feeling that,as a season ticket holder attending faithfully, I am being betrayed by them as Ejaria flatters to deceive,Flanagan/Worral not good enough and Sadiq having only seen him in the semi-final loss speaks for himself.