The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Neither you, or I, know that to be the case.

He may be 26 but if he were to come here and score for fun then an English Championship team could very well come in and purchase him - anything less than 29-30 has sell-on potential.

And, even if he didn't provide us significant profit - he certainly couldn't be worse than Sadiq - so a straight "one in, one out" would be fine by me.  Indeed, I think you effectively prove the point that it isn't so much where a player comes from but how the team play and/or the league you play in and your suitability to it.  Roma were CL semi-finalists last year so, on paper, Sadiq was a coup..... we now know that to not be the case.

Maybe we should learn to wait until someone has proven their worth, or otherwise, before judging them ?

Maybe Sadiq deserves more of a chance, but Gerrard seems to have made up his mind about him. Maybe it his attitude in training but why play him in the League Cup semi-final? We keep saying the SPFL is so poor that just about any signing would make an impression but that has proved not to be the case. 

I'm confused how you sign a player with certainty of success. I've seen us sign flops who've had world cup winner medals in their pocket. As with most things in life, you start out with opinions and only after the event do you acquire facts.

52 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm confused how you sign a player with certainty of success. I've seen us sign flops who've had world cup winner medals in their pocket. As with most things in life, you start out with opinions and only after the event do you acquire facts.

Who are the world cup winners we have signed?

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Stephane Guivarche.  

A special mention must go to Oleg Salenko, who scored 5 in a WC match and looked useless in a Rangers shirt.

I forgot about Guivarch. He just wasn't interested in playing for us or anyone else as I remember,

8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

BTW are there any news/rumours about a creative midfielder?

I haven't seen anything.  

I doubt there will be any real news until January and rumours are like 'a fix' that doesn't fix anything. 

Bottomline is that our finances limit scope when it comes to quality and it'll probably be about creative short-cuts with fingers crossed. Bit like backing an outsider. Sometimes they come in, mostly they don't.

This is where patience and realism should kick in and continue to build a squad as fast as possible but without betting too big amounts on apparent emergency fixes. We've got to work with what we have and bring in little bits of quality when they become available and it fits in with plans (including budget).