The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Rangers agree extension to keep highly-rated youngster Dapo Mebude at the club

The 17-year-old has already caught the eye of Steven Gerrard in the reserves this season

RANGERS have agreed an extension to hold onto highly-rated kid Dapo Mebude.

SunSport understands the Ibrox side are close to announcing the deal to keep the talented 17-year-old.

Mebude has already caught the eye of Gers boss Steven Gerrard in the reserves this season.

That saw the Scotland youth star train with the first team squad recently.

Mebude signed his first pro deal with the club last May but with it expiring at the end of the season Gers risked other clubs opening talks next month.

They now look to have warded off any potential interest after hammering out an agreement this week.

London-born Mebude came through the ranks with Billy Gilmour.

Ibrox team-mate Ross McCrorie has claimed he would be the next one to break into the first team.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3628186/rangers-agree-extension-to-hold-onto-highly-rated-youngster-dapo-mebude/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1544882660

19 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think I'd recall Docherty, especially with Ejaria leaving. 

Unless we've got someone else lined up.

Agreed, I do think Davis will join us, however if Docherty is doing the business then we should think about bringing him back, but only if he is going to get game time?

Each of the last seven seasons has seen us begin reasonably well then fall away badly. This season is on the cusp of repeating the trend. I never expected us to win the title yet but I would love to see us get to the stage where we gather pace as the season progresses and at least finish more strongly that we started. I hope I'm wrong but the current squad doesn't look any more capable of sustaining a serious challenge than their predecessors and changing that would be the primary focus of my recruitment strategy. If it wasn't already clear that this is going to be a long road then the last few weeks should have helped to show it.

Edited by Bill

Snatched from FF, some interview with a paper:

Steven Gerrard revealed his Rangers revamp is being hindered by Mexican
 misfits Carlos Pena and Eduardo Herrera.

The Ibrox gaffer, who saw Ovie Ejaria return to Liverpool, is reeling that around £50,000 a week is tied up on the duds – when he’s trying to land the likes of Everton kid Kieran Dowell.

The England Under-21 starlet is on his radar, along with other potential January targets.

But Gerrard knows how difficult it will be to get midfielder Pena – who arrived back in Glasgow this week – and striker Herrera off the premises.

It’s highly unlikely either of the pair, who were signed for around £4million but are on loan in their homeland, will kick another ball for Rangers.

And in an honest assessment of his squad, Gerrard also revealed:

● The difficulties in trying to rebuild Rangers in one transfer window with just £5million to spend

●How some of his summer signings aren’t giving him enough

●Why he had to send Roma flop Umar Sadiq back to Italy

●He could offer Greg Docherty an Ibrox lifeline in January

●Why red-hot reserve striker Andy Dallas ISN’T ready for his Gers first-team

Gerrard said: “Between now and January 5 we’ll make a decision on Pena. Does he have any future here? I think that would be a very long shot.

“It’s a huge frustration for me when large sums of money are going out of the club and we’re not getting any contribution for it.

“Some of the players not with me are earning big money
compared to the rest of the group. That’s money I could be doing with to recycle, make the team stronger and make it compete better.

“Hopefully we can wheel and deal, move people on, bring others in and put us in a better position.

“I inherited these issues. I was aware of them when I came in but it’s very difficult to find
people new clubs if they’re earning extreme amounts of money that other clubs aren’t prepared to pay.

“And those players aren’t playing at a good level or giving a good account of themselves for people to come and want them.”

One player Gerrard wants in January is 21-year-old Dowell, who will be allowed to leave Everton on loan.

He watched him at the Toulon Tournament last summer and has kept tabs on his situation.

Gerrard said: “I definitely admire Kieran and I’ve watched a lot of him.

“He’s an Everton player so I can’t say anything else on him at the moment – but he’s certainly one I admire.”

Gerrard will attempt to tinker with his squad in January as Gers try to compete with Celtic for the Premiership title.

But he said: “The reality is that we had to make wholesale changes in the summer on a small budget.

“We had to try and find loans and frees and in important areas we had to try and spend some money.

“The facts are that, net, we probably spent around £4.5 -£5.5m.

“I’m not sure you can do magical and wonderful things in one window with that.

“If you look at the ones we added, the majority of them have given us an awful lot. They’re doing really well and I’m delighted with what they’ve brought.

“But without naming names, there’s two or three who can give more and step up more.”

Gerrard has already started the process by off-loading Sadiq back to Roma after a disastrous loan.

Unsettled midfielder Ejaria has headed back south after the Ibrox club and Liverpool agreed to end his loan period and with Docherty performing well at Shrewsbury, he has the option to recall him.

He said: “There was no point in us standing in Sadiq’s way because it was clear how far away from first-team football he was.

“It’s in the best interests ofRangers, Roma and the kid that he tries to find the best next step for his career.

“Hopefully that might free up some funds in January as it’s clear that we need to give Alfredo
 Morelos and Kyle Lafferty some support up front.

“Docherty is a tough one. He’s still young, he’s enjoying his
 football and getting games.

“I could drag him back here just to suit me. But I have to think about the kid’s future and what will make him grow and be available for us on a regular basis.

“We’ll speak to him and get his thoughts on it. ”

Rangers fans are keen to see Gerrard promote Dallas, who has hit 51 goals in 50 games.

But Gerrard said: “Andy’s scoring heavily and deserves a lot of praise.

“We’ve looked at Andy on many occasions in training and in games – his all-round game, not just
 volume of goals and although he’s close, we’re not sure he’s ready to be thrown into a first team
 environment just yet.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-opens-up-rangers-13738935

I do suggest reading what he actually said, not some of the conjecture at the top. I generally disregard most papers throwing stuff like "duds" about. It is accepted "banter talk" in the media these days, but since when has gutter-press talk become some sort of standard to live with or copy.

Edited by der Berliner

21 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Snatched from FF, some interview with a paper:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-opens-up-rangers-13738935

I do suggest reading what he actually said, not some of the conjecture at the top. I generally disregard most papers throwing stuff like "duds" about. It is accepted "banter talk" in the media these days, but since when has gutter-press talk become some sort of standard to live with or copy.

That interview could be taken as a a criticism of the board, the same board he has praised up till now. He also seems to be trying to extradite himself from some of his signings.

A good few players mentioned as potential signings but i'd I'd be more than happy with even just the certainty of Davis coming back in ,as he's going to know what the expectation levels will be ,and on his game he is a quality player .

He's ex club captain ,so knows the script ..  one very good midfielder doesn't only change the strength in midfield , he will have a knock on effect all over the park.