The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

5 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Jermain Defoe

Not a rumour, not a suggestion, but 100% club have made a move 

Will speak to Frankie & tell him what I can’t publicly put 

but we are in the running gents 

Utter madness if we’re trying to sign both Davis & Defoe. Players in their thirties past their best with no resale value.

4 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Utter madness if we’re trying to sign both Davis & Defoe. Players in their thirties past their best with no resale value.

If we were 10 points off the lead I doubt we'd be after them but as it stands we have a chance of winning this league and have to go for it ... otherwise what's the point of it all.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

If we were 10 points off the lead I doubt we'd be after them but as it stands we have a chance of winning this league and have to go for it ... otherwise what's the point of it all.

Exactly this.  Both proven at a level higher than the SPFL.  Both of whom have looked after themselves.

Defoe may be getting on in age but he sure as shit knows how to find the goal, and it also may take some pressure off Morelos.  Also gives us a quality replacement for Morelos injury/suspension.

Personally I like BOTH signings, if we secure them.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Why not sign younger players ?

Not hasbeens, past their best who can’t get a game at their clubs & looking for one last contract. 

Normally I'd prefer us to focus on younger players but if we bring a couple of good pros in and they help us win the league then I couldn't care less.  

You never know, Defoe might be exactly the sort of influence Morelos needs to become a top striker.

Just now, craig said:

Exactly this.  Both proven at a level higher than the SPFL.  Both of whom have looked after themselves.

Defoe may be getting on in age but he sure as shit knows how to find the goal, and it also may take some pressure off Morelos.  Also gives us a quality replacement for Morelos injury/suspension.

Personally I like BOTH signings, if we secure them.

Both WERE proven at a level higher than the SPFL.

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why not sign younger players ?

Not hasbeens, past their best who can’t get a game at their clubs & looking for one last contract. 

There are no guarantees with any player but more experienced players we KNOW can handle the pressures of playing for Rangers.

Younger players whilst chasing the league could work.... but also has a far greater risk of resulting in failure.

Short term contract, chance to become instant legends.  I see Defoe happily being part of that.  I also don’t see him as being a money chaser.  I’m biased, I like him, comes across as a genuinely classy person with how he treated young Bradley.