The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Both WERE proven at a level higher than the SPFL.

I’d rather someone who HAS been proven at a higher level than the SPFL than a youngster who has yet to prove it, in a short-term situation.

Less risk of failure.

I would take anything I thought could win us the league even if they could only last the rest of the season. Getting 55 which declares we're back to our rightful place  plus stops the yahoos dreams of a 10 in a row and gets us a chance at the tens of millions in the CL is worth it.

8 hours ago, craig said:

And there is ZERO evidence that they aren’t anymore

Davis is 34 and has played 128 minutes of Legue football since mid-Feburary.

Defoe is 36 and in the same time period has played 336 minutes of League football, scoring 1 goal.

This season he has played 21 minutes of league football with no goals (his last senior goal was 10 months ago).

Both have had excellent careers but are now on the downhill path.

We'd get the Davis and Defoe of today, not several years ago.

It's difficult to say if they are a gamble worth taking, without knowing what other viable options are out there.

9 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why not sign younger players ?

Not hasbeens, past their best who can’t get a game at their clubs & looking for one last contract. 

because sadiq was a disaster and maybe defoe is looked at as a safe option until the end of the season?

30 minutes ago, buster. said:

Davis is 34 and has played 128 minutes of Legue football since mid-Feburary.

Defoe is 36 and in the same time period has played 336 minutes of League football, scoring 1 goal.

This season he has played 21 minutes of league football with no goals (his last senior goal was 10 months ago).

Both have had excellent careers but are now on the downhill path.

We'd get the Davis and Defoe of today, not several years ago.

It's difficult to say if they are a gamble worth taking, without knowing what other viable options are out there.

Their playing time isn’t necessarily an indicator of their current quality.

Bournemouth are using King and Stanislas who are doing well, making it difficult for Defoe to break in.

Defoe or Solanke ?  Defoe is the no brainer for me.

Davis still pulls the strings at international level for NI and plays well when he plays for them.  

Im willing to bet that both make a significant impact to us in the 2nd half of the season.

Ejaria and Sadiq or Davis and Defoe ?  No brainer.

9 hours ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Jermain Defoe

Not a rumour, not a suggestion, but 100% club have made a move 

Will speak to Frankie & tell him what I can’t publicly put 

but we are in the running gents 

Thanks for the update Stevie. Surprised due to geography, wages, competition and first team football issue but I’m not opposed to a loan or short term deal if he’s willing to take a Davis style pay cut (which I’d be shocked by). 

The problem with the young players we are able to sign is general rawness. Defoe would bring technique and finesse to the final third. Even Morelos, for all his abilities, is often clumsy in possession and his finishing and passing.

If fit, and he seems an evergreen type, he’d certainly improve the squad. 

Edited by DMAA

17 minutes ago, craig said:

Their playing time isn’t necessarily an indicator of their current quality.

Bournemouth are using King and Stanislas who are doing well, making it difficult for Defoe to break in.

Defoe or Solanke ?  Defoe is the no brained for me.

Davis still pulls the strings at international level for NI and plays well when he plays for them.  

Im willing to bet that both make a significant impact to us in the 2nd half of the season.

Ejaria and Sadiq or Davis and Defoe ?  No brainer.

That isn't the current choice though.

If we knew the actual options under consideration it'd be easier to opine.

I wouldn't dispute their quality, it's more if their bodies would be up to playing a lot of Scottish football and how long it would take them to get back up to speed within the 5 months. If we don't successfully negotiate a tough start back later this month, the league could be more or less over by the end of February.

It comes down to SG&Co and how they see things.

If it's the way they want to go, then fine.

Edited by buster.