The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

49 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If we can do a deal for Kent, I'd be over the moon with the outcome of this transfer window.  I was hoping for a number 10, but if the boss thinks Davis can compete with Arfield for that spot, I trust him.  For me, Kent is the future star of our team and we must get him sorted out now before his value rises.  I know he can be frustrating sometimes, but every time he's on the ball I feel he can do something.  He's the standard that guys like Middleton need to reach if they're going to make it.

This is way over the top. He has it all to prove as far as im concerned. A good dribbler and lots of pace but his end product has been poor all season. I’ve already pointed out that with far fewer minutes (800 fewer) Middleton has 2 more assists than Kent and 2 more goals. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Regardless of the strides we have made, I personally feel that CL group stages are absolutely MILES off.  Better to temper your enthusiasm for them because Scottish teams will continue to struggle more and more to make the CL group stages.

You may be right but that remains to be seen so I live in hope.  I didn't expect to make the Europa group stages but it happened so we just can't tell.  We don't know how effective the team will be after the current window far less the Summer window.

The current management team are continually surprising me and mostly in a desirable way so hopefully that continues. And in addition I believe our current team and by that I mean including Davis and Defoe could negotiate the path to the CL group stages the yahoos failed at. We need some fortune in the draw. 

26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You may be right but that remains to be seen so I live in hope.  I didn't expect to make the Europa group stages but it happened so we just can't tell.  We don't know how effective the team will be after the current window far less the Summer window.

The current management team are continually surprising me and mostly in a desirable way so hopefully that continues. And in addition I believe our current team and by that I mean including Davis and Defoe could negotiate the path to the CL group stages the yahoos failed at. We need some fortune in the draw. 

For financial reasons, unless we were to be making a lot of money via player trading, we'll need to be making European group stages (CL or EL)  every couple of years or so.

It's vital that we keep progressing and if we could make a CL group stage in the next 3 or 4 years then great.

The flipside is potentially the EL2* (from 2021) which would obviously have less money in it than the EL.

To avoid the EL2, we'd need to make the CL or hope that the Scottish place in the Co-efficient table gets significantly better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League_2

Edited by buster.

5 hours ago, buster. said:

For financial reasons, unless we were to be making a lot of money via player trading, we'll need to be making European group stages (CL or EL)  every couple of years or so.

It's vital that we keep progressing and if we could make a CL group stage in the next 3 or 4 years then great.

The flipside is potentially the EL2* (from 2021) which would obviously have less money in it than the EL.

To avoid the EL2, we'd need to make the CL or hope that the Scottish place in the Co-efficient table gets significantly better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League_2

I'm looking for the unexpected from Stevie G and the board and I would say this season they provided that. How many of us expected to be in in the EL group stages plus going into the Winter break challenging for the title after not just winning but totally dominating in a game against the yahoos? 

Even now they're still surprising me with the signing of the likes of Defoe. So, illogical as it may sound, in the mean time I'm going to continue expecting the unexpected.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm looking for the unexpected from Stevie G and the board and I would say this season they provided that. How many of us expected to be in in the EL group stages plus going into the Winter break challenging for the title after not just winning but totally dominating in a game against the yahoos? 

Even now they're still surprising me with the signing of the likes of Defoe. So, illogical as it may sound, in the mean time I'm going to continue expecting the unexpected.

Qualifying for the group stages was fantastic on various levels. SG seems to have put together a decent supporting staff and even in his first year (as a manager) has the charisma and leadership qualities to have the whole club (from the fan to the boardrroom) look up to him. Aswell as the grudging respect from elsewhere.

In other words, I don't think it unreasonable to "expect the unexpected".

However, before we get to far into the CL conversation.

We've got a hugely important win over Celtic in the bag and he now needs to find a way to put together a run of wins in the league.

I still make us second favourites but if we can get 10 or more points from the first 12, I'll start to believe.

11 hours ago, Gaffer said:

If we can do a deal for Kent, I'd be over the moon with the outcome of this transfer window.  I was hoping for a number 10, but if the boss thinks Davis can compete with Arfield for that spot, I trust him.  For me, Kent is the future star of our team and we must get him sorted out now before his value rises.  I know he can be frustrating sometimes, but every time he's on the ball I feel he can do something.  He's the standard that guys like Middleton need to reach if they're going to make it.

Really? Because he skinned Lustig? Everyone can skin Lustig. 

I think that's going too far. Kent's a good player, with good skills, but his final product is average. I'd certainly like to get him permanently, for a modest fee, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the future star of our team.

All this talk of Champions League is just plain daft. The way things are being progressively stacked against countries like Scotland, it could well be many years before any Scottish team takes part in the CL.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think that's going too far. Kent's a good player, with good skills, but his final product is average. I'd certainly like to get him permanently, for a modest fee, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the future star of our team.

We all see the game differently.  I don't base my opinion on one incident or one game, but rather over the first half of the season.  All I know is that each time he has the ball I get the sense that he might create something.  Only Morelos can do that too.  It is an entertainment business afterall, and these are the two players that I'm excited to watch.

My point is more that I'm very happy with the transfer business, but Kent (for me) would be the icing on the cake.

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Don't underestimate the tactically aware and disciplined wideman.

Candeias and Kent played a large part in our European success in the summer.