The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, craig said:

But you cant look at one game in isolation.  Sure, we absolutely pumped Celtic - but a couple weeks prior and we couldn't beat a 10-man, bottom of the table Dundee.

Making the CL group stages is far more difficult than making the EL group stages.  Sure, we have improved but so too will pretty much any opponent we could face.  And that is even before considering that Celtic are still favorites to win the league this season.

Don't get me wrong, your optimism is contagious - however, a splash of realism is often required too.

We may not even have Davis OR Defoe when CL qualifying comes around, assuming we can actually beat Celtic to the title.

You have just posted everything I was saving for the first match preview.:)

15 minutes ago, Franc Ergs said:

We have good relations with them , so offer some sort of buyback deal to Liverpool, job done.

I can guarantee you Liverpool wouldn’t be fussed by a buyback ?

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

I didn't make a positive claim about who is better. I was responding to the claim that basically Kent is the finished article and the master who Middleton needs to aspire to. The stats prove my point as far as I'm concerend that Kent has loads of work to do on his end product and Middleton (despite rustiness in his game and what seemed like a confidence dip) has still easily outdone him in far less time where it really matters for a left forward, providing goal scoring chances and taking them yourself. And I predicted that would be the case when Kent got injured too.

He's a clinical finisher which Kent is certainly not, and a very good crosser which we saw with his assist against St Johnstone. I like Kent and want him to improve but I have my doubts that he has the technical quality required to provide the number of assists Rangers need long term from a winger/forward left player. I would say Murphy does have that technical quality and has been a major loss this season.

I don't recall anyone suggesting he was anywhere near the finished article, but he is someone that Middleton needs to look at.  Gerrard is playing Kent ahead of Middleton for a reason and I'm sure he knows why.  It's a game of opinions and facts of course, but Kent has all the skill, he just needs to make better decisions more often.  As we discussed on another thread, crossing is quite important but it's much more threatening to get into an inside forward position and cut the ball back.  Kent does it but he should do it more often.

If we do sign Kent, Murphy and Middleton will have to shoot it out for a spot.

Edited by Gaffer

In my opinion, the fee Liverpool will want for Kent will be too high for us to afford and will be far exceeding his actual worth.  

As for qualifying for the CL group stages...that's pie in the sky, for the time being.

18 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I was going to post this. Disastrous week for Kilmarnock with their main man Stewart gone and Jones all but gone. I don't think they can replace Stewart and although I'd be shocked if Clarke didn't want to keep Jones for now, the poor relationship with the fans won't help his form. Interestingly Stewart is also available on a bosman. A former Rangers youth player, I think he's good enough to be a squad player. However I don't see that happening.

Worth noting that there may be a bit of uncertainty around Worrall's future with Karanka sacked. I felt Karanka underrated him and if he had stayed I don't think a permanent deal was impossible. If they have a recall option that will be a bit of a worry for Gerrard.

5 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Worth noting that there may be a bit of uncertainty around Worrall's future with Karanka sacked. I felt Karanka underrated him and if he had stayed I don't think a permanent deal was impossible. If they have a recall option that will be a bit of a worry for Gerrard.

I agree, however we are lucky that we do have cover if this happens