The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

45 minutes ago, Frankie said:

From this morning's Kilmarnock game press conference:

That’s a bit confusing. Everyone has a price but anyone preparing a bid is wasting their time? It’s maybe a way of saying he’s not for sale unless you pay silly money. Only they know what their replacement options are and January isn’t an easy time to find them. 

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That’s a bit confusing. Everyone has a price but anyone preparing a bid is wasting their time? It’s maybe a way of saying he’s not for sale unless you pay silly money. Only they know what their replacement options are and January isn’t an easy time to find them. 

yeah that tweet is slightly miss quoted.  He mentioned that everyone has their price but nobody would be leaving in this transfer window.

Let`s put it this way: an essentially untried Solanke goes for 18m to Bournemouth. Dembele went for quite a fee from Scumland to whomever signed him. We don`t want to lose him, he's got a good contract and is happy as well. That will not bar people from throwing money at us. Methinks it was murmured that SG wants at least 20m for Morelos, which obviously depends on a few things. Main point is: if a bigger name EPL club or say PSG comes calling, I reckon Alfredo's mind will be turned. And if the latter happens, we probably won't want to keep him "just because". Grumpy players hardly ever work out. So "everyone has a price".

I do expect some similar bids flying in by the end of the window and I do expect that we (all inclusive at the club), have a limit. Likewise, I do hope that we have fall-back options at the ready.

On a sidenote ... we very much relied upon Morelos' prowess thus far, which might just as well come back to haunt us should he suffer a broken leg or something. Who knows if anyone in the side now could step in and be as prolific as him in a lone striker role? That's the main bone of contention with playing but one striker all the time. Maybe we change that with Defoe.

Some whispers on FF (could be wrong) that Wallace might join up with Kenny Miller at Dens Park to hasten the transfer of Kamara. Probably not too bad an idea, given that Wallace won't see that much action with us ... even though he didn't do too badly when called upon in December.

Meanwhile, Herrera has played 4 games with Necaxa now, scoring a goal in 3 of them.

Edited by der Berliner

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

Some whispers on FF (could be wrong) that Wallace might join up with Kenny Miller at Dens Park to hasten the transfer of Kamara. Probably not too bad an idea, given that Wallace won't see that much action with us ... even though he didn't do too badly when called upon in December.

Meanwhile, Herrera has played 4 games with Necaxa now, scoring a goal in 3 of them.

would be good news on both fronts.  Get kamara in now and let Wallace leave, he is now behind halliday as well.  Hopefully Herrera keeps on scoring and someone will be willing to actually pay some money to take him on a more permanent basis.

22 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

yeah that tweet is slightly miss quoted.  He mentioned that everyone has their price but nobody would be leaving in this transfer window.

Yeh I listened to it and he was very clear that he wasn't going anywhere in January. I think I don't rate Morelos as highly as most on here so I'd take £12m or so for him but not in January unless they had a replacement lined up. Yes it's tempting to look at what other players have gone for but it's not the way the market works. If our scouting department are doing their job they should be able to put the money we'll eventually get for Morelos to very good work.

49 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

would be good news on both fronts.  Get kamara in now and let Wallace leave, he is now behind halliday as well.  Hopefully Herrera keeps on scoring and someone will be willing to actually pay some money to take him on a more permanent basis.

IMHO, we mis-used Herrera in that "must-be 4-3-3 system" which simply failed to work under MW and PC in the Scottish environment and with the players at hand. When Herrera signed, this is what he said:

Herrera had been at Pumas since 2007, but was on loan at Santos Laguna when they were managed by Pedro Caixinha, now the Rangers boss.

The 6ft 2in forward has scored 57 goals in 207 appearances in Mexico.

He won the first of his nine caps in March 2015 and has scored three goals for his country.

"I will bring a lot of work and a lot of sacrifice and hopefully a lot of goals," said Herrera.

"I am a centre-forward and I like to be in the opposition box looking for a chance to score. I am used to playing as a target man, to have the ball and support my team and other players in those types of situations."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40372768

Now, how often did we beg for a target man up front, someone who stays in the box rather than roving about like Miller & Co. even Morelos does that (and we hope someone shows up in the box - nowadays Arfield, under MW it was Holt - before he was moved to DM) In the packed-box world of Scottish football, one striker is usually swamped and we could have made much better use of Herrera and Cummings had we played them alongside another striker. We shall see how the arrival of Defoe will change our approach ...

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

In the packed-box world of Scottish football, one striker is usually swamped and we could have made much better use of Herrera and Cummings had we played them alongside another striker. We shall see how the arrival of Defoe will change our approach ...

We've seen a lot of that in the games we've struggled in this season, balls being lumped towards a crowded out Morelos. I think we need to be able to comfortably switch between 1 up front and 2 because only a fool believes one size fits all in football.