The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Nice reportedly preparing an £8 million bid for Morelos.

Gerrard response.

“I’ve been made aware that they are preparing an £8m bid but they are wasting their time. It’s nowhere near enough and the player isn’t for sale."

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/news/17375920.steven-gerrard-insists-an-8million-bid-would-be-disrespectful-to-alfredo-morelos-and-rangers/?ref=mr&lp=5

2 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Bang on. Especially since they're talking about Bayern Munich spending nearly 40 million on young Chelsea fringe player. 

Makes you choke when you think how much we didn't get for Billy Gilmour.

34 minutes ago, craig said:

Couldn't do anything about it

Still a choker !

You bring through what may well be a once in a decade level of talent and you get a fee to cover around 3 months wages for Pena and Herrera.

With the recent trend of young English players leaving Man City for first team football elsewhere, I wonder if the English super-rich clubs might start to find it harder to attract the Billy Gilmours of this world. If someone like Ruben Loftus Cheek, an established England international, can't get into the Chelsea first team, what message does that send to the youth coming through below him? I thought Gilmour was badly advised at the time and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. He'd have been much better off either staying with us or moving to Southampton or Everton or a side with a track record of promoting and nurturing youth, he'd still have been handsomely rewarded. 

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Still a choker !

You bring through what may well be a once in a decade level of talent and you get a fee to cover around 3 months wages for Pena and Herrera.

Which is why UEFA are useless.  The bigger leagues spend pocket change on the best players of the smaller nations, meaning those smaller nations will never catch up.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

With the recent trend of young English players leaving Man City for first team football elsewhere, I wonder if the English super-rich clubs might start to find it harder to attract the Billy Gilmours of this world. If someone like Ruben Loftus Cheek, an established England international, can't get into the Chelsea first team, what message does that send to the youth coming through below him? I thought Gilmour was badly advised at the time and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. He'd have been much better off either staying with us or moving to Southampton or Everton or a side with a track record of promoting and nurturing youth, he'd still have been handsomely rewarded. 

When those same EPL teams are offering a 16 yr old 20k a week I doubt too much will change.  One 4yr contract and they are made for life.  Not only that but, almost invariably, even if they don't make it at these big clubs, some other club takes a chance on them due to the reputation of said big club.

It's also too early to judge Gilmour given he is only 17.