The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, craig said:

If we do ANY more business in this transfer window I hope it is a central defender.

I agree but we haven't been looking for one have we? I think when Worrel stayed we were shot of that.

If we are going to play Worrel and McAuley then McCrorie has to play just in front of them.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I agree but we haven't been looking for one have we? I think when Worrel stayed we were shot of that.

If we are going to play Worrel and McAuley then McCrorie has to play just in front of them.

We won’t play those two when Goodson is fit and he’s apparently close.

8 hours ago, pete said:

Agreed, but McCrorie would be in my starting XI every week.

Spent a fair bit of cash on the central defence this season and we seem to have one fairly solid and consistent defender out of it.

16 hours ago, craig said:

When those same EPL teams are offering a 16 yr old 20k a week I doubt too much will change.  One 4yr contract and they are made for life.  Not only that but, almost invariably, even if they don't make it at these big clubs, some other club takes a chance on them due to the reputation of said big club.

It's also too early to judge Gilmour given he is only 17.

Yes, money and reputation will always hold a huge appeal I agree, but maybe some will think twice as it's not like smaller EPL sides, far less German ones, are paying YTS salaries. 

I've certainly not judged Gilmour as a player, just his choice of club to join. There will always be outliers however Chelsea in particular are terrible at promoting young players into their first team. Indeed Chelsea's entire youth set up seems to be geared to create players to sell to smaller clubs and generate income, rather than create players to play for Chelsea. Fair enough if that is their strategy, but it's a cold, heartless one and goes against my views on what football is about. That said so much of modern football appals me that my transformation into Victor Meldrew is almost complete.  

4 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Yes, money and reputation will always hold a huge appeal I agree, but maybe some will think twice as it's not like smaller EPL sides, far less German ones, are paying YTS salaries. 

I've certainly not judged Gilmour as a player, just his choice of club to join. There will always be outliers however Chelsea in particular are terrible at promoting young players into their first team. Indeed Chelsea's entire youth set up seems to be geared to create players to sell to smaller clubs and generate income, rather than create players to play for Chelsea. Fair enough if that is their strategy, but it's a cold, heartless one and goes against my views on what football is about. That said so much of modern football appals me that my transformation into Victor Meldrew is almost complete.  

Football economics are only mirroring that of general society these past few decades.

Money flows upwards, buys power, regulation and more money flows upwards.

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That said so much of modern football appals me that my transformation into Victor Meldrew is almost complete.  

John, you will need to change your avatar though I have to say I always considered Bill as more of the Victor Meldrew type.     ?

I feel so deflated after last night that I don't think there's any transfer activity that would raise my spirits. Unless it's some of our players moving out. Seeing the way the fight went out of the entire team made the whole thing seem futile.

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

My bad John, I didn't mean you were judging Gilmour the player - what I really meant to say was "it is too early to judge whether Gilmour has made the right decision or not given he is only 17".  Very, very few players break through at 17 in any meaningful way.  On top of that, Gilmour is fairly slight so, IMO, needs to bulk up before being able to be thrust into Chelsea's 1st team.  Hudson-Odoi is different to Gilmour in that he plays a position (winger) where you generally are more wiry whereas Gilmour plays in the engine room which, generally, is where you have to deploy more strength.

I think Gilmour will go a long way in the game - will it be at Chelsea ?  Who knows.  But if it isn't I am sure he will still move on for millions and possibly to another EPL club.

Whilst moving to Chelsea for a youngster is normally a poor decision footballing-wise - as you say they rarely get opportunities - the reality is that at 16 yrs old Billy Gilmour could sign a contract with the English Champions who spend inordinate amounts of money on their facilities, coaches, analytics etc - the best of the best if you will.  If he has, say, a 4 yr contract he will get all the assistance possible to make the grade - and if he doesn't he is still only 20 yrs old, with millions in his bank account, a burgeoning wardrobe (apparently every couple of months a big box arrives at his digs for him from both Adidas and Burberry....)  and still with the vast majority of his career ahead of him.

We can't tell yet whether he made a poor decision - but given the facilities at his disposal, the bright lights of London, a salary that 99% of us can only dream about even in the twilight of our chosen careers - it is easy to see why he would make the choice he did.

Players can get career ending injuries even before their career starts and whilst they wont be contemplating that.... it is very, very difficult to turn down the amounts of money on the table... from what I have been told Billy got 17k a week when he signed as a 16 yr old and that increased to 22k a week on his 17th birthday - not 100% sure of the veracity of that but the source was well-informed....