The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I agree. Morelos’s goals per minute ratio is 4th behind Hardie, Cosgrove and Edouard which isn’t very impressive. That’s one of the reasons I’d like to see Defoe given a chance alongside him, he’s a natural goal scorer. 

Defoe didn't look a natural goalscorer on Sunday when he screwed his one half-chance miles wide... :ninja:?

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I agree. Morelos’s goals per minute ratio is 4th behind Hardie, Cosgrove and Edouard which isn’t very impressive. That’s one of the reasons I’d like to see Defoe given a chance alongside him, he’s a natural goal scorer. 

The problem with that is that Morelos seems to prefer operating as lone striker with wide support.  Any time he's had a strike partner he has been much less effective.  One for the manager and technical coaching staff to work on.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

It may not be impressive but you also have to consider the style of play each of those players play against.  Hardie & Cosgrove for the most part will be playing against opponents who will be looking to win games against them and will be more open than the opponents that Morelos & Edouard face where it is generally a "park the bus" attitude.

Statistics eh ?? :D (and by that I mean we can use statistics as much as we want, but without the qualitative they only provide so much information).

Sky Sports article on Polster (probably shouldn't believe it though, right buster ? :fish2:)

Who is new Rangers signing Matt Polster?

Last Updated: 30/01/19 2:04pm

•  
  •  
  •  
Matt Polster has agreed to join Rangers
Matt Polster has agreed to join Rangers

Rangers have bolstered their squad with the signing of US international Matt Polster, but who is the versatile American? We spoke to MLS expert Andrew Wiebe to get the lowdown.

Rangers confirmed the arrival of Polster on Wednesday on a two-and-a-half deal, having impressed while on trial at Ibrox.

Polster had spent three years had Chicago Fire in MLS, winning his first senior US cap last year in a friendly against Bosnia.

But what position does he play? What are his strengths? Will he cope with the pace of the Scottish Premiership? We spoke to MLS expert Andrew Wiebe to find out more.

"He is very versatile," Wiebe said on Sky Sports News' Transfer Talk podcast. "And he is increasing in quality in a position that is very key in modern soccer - outside (wing) back.

"As a defensive midfielder, he came out of college and he did well in the SuperDraft, but it remained to be seen where his long term future will lie.

Polster impressed while on trial
Polster impressed while on trial

"Here he thrived. He started to pick up the ball in advanced positions, he is really good at cutting inside, which proved to be really effective here in the states as he had the technical ability from his midfield days.

"He started to pick up fitness, and started to pick up height, and it appeared he would be able to solve the US's outside back problem. He got a cap and got in look in there.

"This is a guy that the (Chicago) Fire did not want to lose. When they were really good in the play-offs a few years ago, Polster was a big part of their side both in attack and in defence.

"He is a really good signing for Rangers. He is not the sort of player that will be players to the end line, he is more about the quick switches from his midfield days.

"He is strong, and will not be fazed by the physicality in Scotland. He has had knee surgery, but as long as he stays healthy, there is no need to worry about him with the adaptation process. There is a bit of a path to follow here, with plenty of players having come from the States."

42 minutes ago, craig said:

Re: Polster

"He is strong, and will not be fazed by the physicality in Scotland. He has had knee surgery, but as long as he stays healthy, there is no need to worry about him with the adaptation process. There is a bit of a path to follow here, with plenty of players having come from the States."

Not really what we want to hear given our history with such.

1 hour ago, craig said:

It may not be impressive but you also have to consider the style of play each of those players play against.  Hardie & Cosgrove for the most part will be playing against opponents who will be looking to win games against them and will be more open than the opponents that Morelos & Edouard face where it is generally a "park the bus" attitude.

Statistics eh ?? :D (and by that I mean we can use statistics as much as we want, but without the qualitative they only provide so much information).

Don't make me start inventing stats again :slinger:

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

The problem with that is that Morelos seems to prefer operating as lone striker with wide support.  Any time he's had a strike partner he has been much less effective.  One for the manager and technical coaching staff to work on.

Personally I think that been overplayed. It’s certainly too early to make definitive statements because he’s played up front alone about 99% of the time. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

The stats always need a bit of interpretation. The flip side of the points you raise is that Hardie, Cosgrove, Brophy etc would kill to have as many chances as you get playing as a lone striker for Rangers. His record this season is good but with better finishing could be a good bit higher. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

The stats always need a bit of interpretation. The flip side of the points you raise is that Hardie, Cosgrove, Brophy etc would kill to have as many chances as you get playing as a lone striker for Rangers. His record this season is good but with better finishing could be a good bit higher. 

Oh, he most definitely isn't the finished article when it comes to finishing :thup: