The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's a real bugbear of mine. 

The team should watch Germany’s dismantling of Brazil in the World Cup a few times. Almost all of their goals were tap-ins, a joy to watch the game made to look so simple. 

42 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The team should watch Germany’s dismantling of Brazil in the World Cup a few times. Almost all of their goals were tap-ins, a joy to watch the game made to look so simple. 

Aided and abetted by some Keystone Cops like defending by Brazil (especially Luiz). I get your general point though.

Ryan Jack's goal immediately made me think of the brilliant post (from mid December?) by Gaffer. It highlighted the merits of hitting the dead ball line and the amount of goals created by playing balls back with defenders on their heels as opposed to the rather aimless tactic of forward crossing we seem to have adopted of late. If this ever needed illustrated was our goal on Saturday. Defenders on their heels with a precise cut back to an on rushing player. Take note Stevie G

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

26 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Sky Sources: Southampton will allow Steven Davis to rejoin Rangers, if personal terms can be agreed. Davis has 6-months left on his contract. Wages may be the stumbling block.

If he is fit, it would be a good experienced stop gap until the summer. In the meantime I hope we are scouring Europe and beyond for a creative midfielder and a number 10.

8 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke has had a medical at Crystal Palace as the 21-year-old nears a loan move to Selhurst Park. (Mail)

he's been knocking back offers left, right and centre from English sides so was always pretty unlikely. Seems to have turned down more appealing moves than Palace as he's only going where he's pretty much guaranteed to start. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Well, up until now he hasn’t been that effective. He’s been all about directness, pace and dribbling. His passing, crossing and shooting (i.e end product) has left a lot to be desired, evidenced by the fact that despite playing the equivalent of 3 games more than Middleton (an apparently “very raw” youngster) he has the same number of goals and assists in the league. Even on Saturday despite playing really well you saw that side of his game when he missed a one on one which should have been a goal. 

I think the rawness of Middleton is reflected in his lack of tactical awareness or ability to adhere to a more complete gameplan, his pitch geography :whistle: and support for the left back. Kent has this in his game and although not evident in terms of assists or goals, has been a fundamantal part of how SG&Co have set-up and had a fair rate of success (especially in Europe).

The recent game up in Dundee showed us depending on a rusty Kent to help create in the first half and do nothing in the second half without him.

On a sidenote, Morelos is sure hot property and I would expect a few EPL sides may want a closer look. Throwing 10 to 15m our way won't "hurt" them that much, while it would e.g. finance Kent instantly and leave quite a bit room for replacements too. You do wonder what price tag the club and SG will have agreed upon, if any. Hopefully we all are prepared for that case ...

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

On a sidenote, Morelos is sure hot property and I would expect a few EPL sides may want a closer look. Throwing 10 to 15m our way won't "hurt" them that much, while it would e.g. finance Kent instantly and leave quite a bit room for replacements too. You do wonder what price tag the club and SG will have agreed upon, if any. Hopefully we all are prepared for that case ...

If Dembele is worth £19m then so is Alfredo.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Sky Sources: Southampton will allow Steven Davis to rejoin Rangers, if personal terms can be agreed. Davis has 6-months left on his contract, but wages may be the stumbling block.

Are Rangers genuinely interested in signing Davis ? Has there been any confirmation?

I’d take him on loan til the end of season on his £60k p.w. Southampton wage then at the end of the season decide whether to offer him a contract