The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Signing Davis and Defoe and recalling Docherty and Hardie from their loans would certainly enhance our striking options and our creativity from midfield with almost no outlay in transfer fees. We're fairly strong everywhere else, that's where we need options. 

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

it's more if their bodies would be up to playing a lot of Scottish football and how long it would take them to get back up to speed within the 5 months

It's certainly a point that it's a big ask to go straight into first team football with a demanding fixture schedule with Rangers after a long spell without regular games.

However there's the world of a difference between a Kranjcar or a Senderos and a Davis or Defoe. Both have a virtually flawless fitness history and that definitely counts for something. 

I'd be excited if Gerrard could pull Defoe off. Gerrard would be why he'd do it imo because it would be a big pay cut.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

That isn't the current choice though.

If we knew the actual options under consideration it'd be easier to opine.

I wouldn't dispute their quality, it's more if their bodies would be up to playing a lot of Scottish football and how long it would take them to get back up to speed within the 5 months. If we don't successfully negotiate a tough start back later this month, the league could be more or less over by the end of February.

It comes down to SG&Co and how they see things.

If it's the way they want to go, then fine.

Am I supposed to have a crystal ball ?  Or are you going to continually say “we don’t know the other options” ?

what we know is we have offers in for Davis and Defoe.  Everything else is conjecture.  I’m choosing to believe that both of them would improve our squad. You, on the other hand, are blindly running around screaming “what are the other options, there must be other options, there must be younger options”.

As is your prerogative. 

So, if these other, younger alternatives which ones are better than Davis and Defoe ?

Nothing on Gauld @Stevie - 4lads Blog?

His contract is up in June so I think we are free to sign him on a Bosman. I think he's tied into a season long loan until then. If we sign don't sign him Aberdeen or Hibs probably will. Worth a punt given he's the no 10 type and would be cheap.

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

His contract is up in June so I think we are free to sign him on a Bosman. If we don't Aberdeen or Hibs probably will. Worth a punt given he's the no 10 type and would be cheap.

has he progressed since he has left scotland? I know he had huge potential but I haven't heard much of him for years now.  Always liked him though and Dundee Utd

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

His contract is up in June so I think we are free to sign him on a Bosman. I think he's tied into a season long loan until then. If we sign don't sign him Aberdeen or Hibs probably will. Worth a punt given he's the no 10 type and would be cheap.

Nothing on anything else to be honest, I asked about Jones etc but it’s all went quiet 

I’m reluctant to ask too much to be honest & become a pain in the arse (more than usual)

Just take what I can get

38 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

has he progressed since he has left scotland? I know he had huge potential but I haven't heard much of him for years now.  Always liked him though and at Dundee Utd

Fixed that for you. Otherwise it was unpalatable. 

42 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

I asked about Jones etc but it’s all went quiet 

Phew. Jones is one of the most overrated players in the league. Stewart has carried them this season. 

STEVEN DAVIS will become Steven Gerrard’s next Rangers signing within 24 hours.

Rangers are due to sign Steven Davis within the next 24 hours 
Davis has accepted a major pay-cut to complete the move back to Ibrox, six-and-a-half-years after leaving for Southampton.
The Northern Ireland international has barely had a look-in so far this term at St Mary’s and will be allowed to join Gerrard’s side on a free transfer.
Davis will add vital experience to the middle of midfield as Rangers look to pip rivals Celtic to the Scottish Premiership title.

He’s agreed a £12,000-a-week, 18-month contract with the Gers.
Davis could make his debut when the Glasgow giants return to action after the winter break on January 18, when minnows Cowdenbeath are the opponents in a Scottish Cup fourth-round tie.
Charlie Adam, who admits he’s keen on a move back to Rangers, thinks the midfielder is a great addition for Gerrard.
He said: “It’s not about the money. He’s obviously been told about the project at Rangers.

Rangers are getting an experienced international in Northern Ireland man Davis 
“He’ll also have seen from the outside and he wants to be part of it.
“They are within touching distance of being successful and he’ll feel his quality can add to that and help take them to the next step.
“He’s obviously had a chat with the manager and club and been happy with that.
“Rangers is a big pull for any player. To get someone like that back would be a great piece of business and hopefully he can add one or two more.
“It absolutely makes sense to me. He’s still a top player. He knows the club and has the experience.

"That’s something you are always looking for and he can play in that No.10 position, linking the play between Morelos and the midfield.
“He’s played for Northern Ireland but he’s not played an awful lot for Southampton this last six months.
“He’ll be wanting to be out playing and showing everybody he is still a good player. I have no doubt he is.
“Rangers don’t have too many experienced players. There’s Allan McGregor and maybe Ryan Jack, but after those guys, the rest are a young group. “To have that kind of leader going in there will be great business for the club.”
Rangers are now odds-on to sign Jermain Defoe.
Coral have priced up the Bournemouth man at 8-13 to complete a move north of the border this month.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/751198/Rangers-transfer-news-Steven-Davis-deal-gossip-latest-update

1 hour ago, craig said:

Am I supposed to have a crystal ball ?  Or are you going to continually say “we don’t know the other options” ?

what we know is we have offers in for Davis and Defoe.  Everything else is conjecture.  I’m choosing to believe that both of them would improve our squad. You, on the other hand, are blindly running around screaming “what are the other options, there must be other options, there must be younger options”.

As is your prerogative. 

So, if these other, younger alternatives which ones are better than Davis and Defoe ?

No need to get bitchy and confrontational in the transfer window thread :D

Transfer window threads tend to be full of conjecture and player opinion, don't let it upset you.