The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Rangers: Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis 'amazing' signings - Harry Redknapp

Signing Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis would help Rangers "push Celtic all the way", says his former manager Harry Redknapp.

Defoe, 36, is set to join Steven Gerrard's side on loan from Bournemouth, while Southampton's Davis, 34, is expected to return to Ibrox.

Rangers are level on points with their city rivals, having played a game more.

"If he gets Steven Davis as well that would be two amazing signings," said Redknapp.

"I can see it making a big difference to their team. They could push Celtic all the way with those two in the team."

Ex-Tottenham manager Redknapp knows Defoe well having signed him as a 15-year-old for West Ham, then twice more in his career for Portsmouth and Spurs.

However, this season the former England striker has played just eight times for Bournemouth without scoring a goal, with midfielder Davis earning just six appearances at Southampton.

Despite Defoe's lack of game time, though, Redknapp remains convinced he can be a success in Glasgow.

He told BBC Scotland: "He's a fantastic player. And still very fit. I'm sure he'll score plenty of goals at Rangers.

"He's a great finisher, he's got fantastic movement. If they've got people that can slide passes in to him then he'll score goals all day.

"He'll be a real big signing for Glasgow Rangers and I'm sure Stevie [Gerrard] will be delighted to have him."

'Real competition'

Many players have come up from England with big reputations but struggled in Scotland, with Joey Barton, Carlton Cole and Niko Kranjcar all failing to make an impact in recent seasons.

However, Redknapp believes Defoe would thrive in Glasgow.

Redknapp said: "I go to watch Bournemouth most weeks. It's been difficult for him, with [Callum] Wilson and [Joshua] King who play up front; they've both been outstanding so he hasn't got the games. He wants to play, he's one of them boys.

"Rangers and Celtic, they're a big pull in world football, they're two massive clubs as everybody knows who understands the game. So it's a big move for him and a big move for Rangers.

"It's good to see Scottish football again having two great teams at the top. They've really got a competition on their hands again which is good."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46761579

22 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

My thoughts were why are we interested in signing a player from Dundee but on the basis of the video he is too good to be playing at their level and could well be a "sleeper".

I hear you but we also need to be clever in the market with long term eye on what's happening in the football. Andy Robertson could be considered a sleeper of sorts. Liverpool bought him for £8 million and a year or so later he stands shoulder to shoulder with the best on the highest stage of English football (Man City v Liverpool). There are untouched gems out there. We just need a better network to find them

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I hear you but we also need to be clever in the market with long term eye on what's happening in the football. Andy Robertson could be considered a sleeper of sorts. Liverpool bought him for £8 million and a year or so later he stands shoulder to shoulder with the best on the highest stage of English football (Man City v Liverpool). There are untouched gems out there. We just need a better network to find them

If we could get to the CL group stages and Morelos were to perform well there think of how much that could add on to the eventual price tag.

Both are very clever and shrewd signings regardless of age. They are still Premier League level players. And Defoe's deal is 18 months which isnt a stop gap, we have essentially signed him for the remainder of his career. Bournemouth are unlikely to recall him in the windows they have after signing Solanke from Liverpool for 19million - someone we were linked with. TBH Id prefer the real deal in Defoe than Solanke, his goal scorer instincts means he will hit the ground running and can only be a help for Morelos on the training ground.

We are going to give it a real push this season but looking further forward when everyone is fit next summer we have a strong looking group and this season was all about getting closer - the fact we have a genuine chance is even better.