The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Just now, Rousseau said:

I like having the separate thead to discuss the player signed. 

I just thought I'd post the confirmation in here too. 

Ok, just didn't want to flood the board with threads when there are already existing threads.

I do prefer separate threads for done deals :thup:

44 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Four strikers in the squad now with Morelos, Lafferty, Defoe & Hardie. All would very much expect to be in the matchday squad. Either Morelos is away or we're going 4-4-2/3-5-2, and we've already said Morelos is going nowhere.

3-5-2 would be mean Kent, Candeias, Grezda and Middleton wouldn't have a natural position in the team. 4-4-2 would leave only two central midfield positions despite having a lot of players in that position and having added one more. I think 3-5-2 looks very likely although I'm surprised given Kent is rated so highly by the manager.

A very interesting development which I really didn't see coming.

Perhaps.

It's just great to have options; we can now make many more changes in a game. 

He did play 3-4-2-1 / 3-4-1-2 with Liverpool reserves -- something along the lines of what Southampton are implementing under Hasenhuttl just now, which I've been very impressed by. 

43 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

Maybe Gerrard just wants to run an eye over Hardie in the flesh and see how he is getting on.  Plenty time to loan him back out this month. 

Yes, I think it might be about deciding whether to offer him an extension or not.

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He did play 3-4-2-1 / 3-4-1-2 with Liverpool reserves -- something along the lines of what Southampton are implementing under Hasenhuttl just now, which I've been very impressed by.

Interesting. I haven’t kept up with English football this season but if it’s being used successfully in the EPL it makes it more likely that it’s what he has in mind. If it means we have less players behind the ball and more players in advanced positions I’m all for it, although I generally don’t like 3-5-2 based formations. 

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

Yes, I think it might be about deciding whether to offer him an extension or not.

Are you going to get a better idea of that with him playing against Hibs reserves or against Hibs? He was playing against the same opponents Morelos plays against and doing really well. It’s madness as far as I’m concerned if it’s anything to do with deciding whether to offer him a new deal, he was in the perfect place for us to assess that. 

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Are you going to get a better idea of that with him playing against Hibs reserves or against Hibs? He was playing against the same opponents Morelos plays against and doing really well. It’s madness as far as I’m concerned if it’s anything to do with deciding whether to offer him a new deal, he was in the perfect place for us to assess that. 

I hope this is isn't a sign that Alfie might be off?

On a side note, Mark Allen is on Talk Sport this morning. Not sure if it something specific or it's just a general chat about the transfer business. Jim White also shouting about an exclusive chat he had with Dave King over the weekend.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

It will be interesting to see how we shape up this year but the signings we've made certainly give us more options.

Defoe is a player I'm sure we are all delighted has joined us.  I'd expect he's on a hefty salary but if he can reproduce the form of the past few seasons, we've got a super player.  He isn't so good at holding the ball up though so I'm assuming he will be played as part of a front two, or as an inside forward (as part of a front 3).

Kamara is a player I am delighted about.  He's always looked strong, skilful and composed and if he can handle the mental pressure of winning every week he will be an excellent signing.

Jones still has a lot to prove but in my opinion he's already a step up from our existing wingers/forwards (except for Kent and Morelos).  He gives us plenty of attacking options as he can play as a wide winger, he can cut inside, and he can play as an inside forward too.

Davis was an excellent player.  He was probably my favourite player of that time but I'm not sure if he still has that same level of energy required in the middle of the pitch, especially the way we play.  I hope he can get some match practise so he can have a chance of making it into the starting eleven.  My expectations aren't high, but like every one of us I'm hoping he still has it.  If he has, he can play in any of the midfield roles because he's a terrific reader of the game, passer, and tackler.  And we all know he can shoot too.

I suspect our further signings will only happen if and when we offload some players.  Herrera, Dodoo, Pena, Hodson, Wallace, Rossiter, Hardie, Alnwick, and Fod need to be moved on asap.  If their loans don't result in a permanent move we'd be stuck with an expensive wage book for players that add nothing.  I'd also personally try to get rid of Lafferty while he still has some value but I doubt that's going to happen before the summer.

Edited by Gaffer

12 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think you have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks before you brand it as madness.

It'll be a positive for him to be able to train with better players under the microscope of our management team. It'll be up to him to show that he doesn't look out of place. Thereafter, I'd imagine decisions will be made.

I'd love to see Hardie get a run of games with us. He can clearly score goals at SPFL level, whether our shirt proves too heavy for him we'll only know if he gets a chance. I'm pleased we've recalled him. The coaches will see him up close in the next couple of weeks. I'd start him against Cowdenbeath in the cup, giving Morelos an extended break. Lafferty seems to be struggling with something currently, what kind of ailment it is I'm not sure, but he's not right. Having Morelos, Defoe and Hardie in the squad for the second half of the season doesn't feel like overkill to me. We all know Morelos will be booked and probably sent off anytime he even looks the wrong way at someone, opposition players will make the most of any contact with him and no ref fancies death threats so Morelos won't get any 50/50 decisions going his way. We'll need all our strikers in the next few months. 

2 hours ago, Gaffer said:

It will be interesting to see how we shape up this year but the signings we've made certainly give us more options.

Defoe is a player I'm sure we are all delighted has joined us.  I'd expect he's on a hefty salary but if he can reproduce the form of the past few seasons, we've got a super player.  He isn't so good at holding the ball up though so I'm assuming he will be played as part of a front two, or as an inside forward (as part of a front 3).

Kamara is a player I am delighted about.  He's always looked strong, skilful and composed and if he can handle the mental pressure of winning every week he will be an excellent signing.

Jones still has a lot to prove but in my opinion he's already a step up from our existing wingers/forwards (except for Kent and Morelos).  He gives us plenty of attacking options as he can play as a wide winger, he can cut inside, and he can play as an inside forward too.

Davis was an excellent player.  He was probably my favourite player of that time but I'm not sure if he still has that same level of energy required in the middle of the pitch, especially the way we play.  I hope he can get some match practise so he can have a chance of making it into the starting eleven.  My expectations aren't high, but like every one of us I'm hoping he still has it.  If he has, he can play in any of the midfield roles because he's a terrific reader of the game, passer, and tackler.  And we all know he can shoot too.

I suspect our further signings will only happen if and when we offload some players.  Herrera, Dodoo, Pena, Hodson, Wallace, Rossiter, Hardie, Alnwick, and Fod need to be moved on asap.  If their loans don't result in a permanent move we'd be stuck with an expensive wage book for players that add nothing.  I'd also personally try to get rid of Lafferty while he still has some value but I doubt that's going to happen before the summer.

Lafferty can't move before the summer anyway as he's already played for 2 teams this season, unless he moves to an association where they ignore that